Hard frost coming should I heavily water?

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi All,

Here in North Carolina we have had temps up in the 80s and consistently in the 60s and 70s. Most of my deciduous have begun to break dormancy and are either extending buds or even starting to leaf out on a few. Friday and Saturday night though it is supposed to dip down into the high 20s for a brief while overnight and then back into the 50-60s during the day. I plan to cover everything with tarp under my benches but I am still worried. I was debating watering all the plants really heavily thinking that the added water would act as a temperature stabilizer for under the tarp. I actually put a few gallons of water in old milk jugs as a temperature sink as well. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Lars

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I always water before a hard freeze if it's been mild weather prior to the freeze. The more moisture in the soil, the slower the temp will drop and ultimately freeze. Air freezes faster than water.

Aaron

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Watering well will protect the roots from freeze damage if it doesn't get too cold but won't do anything to protect new foliage, even with the tarp . I'd be tempted to move anything with fully opened leaves into a garage or out building if your temps are forecast to fall into the 20's... better safe then sorry. If you move them in tomorrow, I'd say just leave them there until Sunday. My temps are supposed to be in the mid to low 30's so all the newly repotted trees go on the ground, get watered, and anything with leaves will get covered with a trash can, bucket or blanket.

HankB

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Watering well will protect the roots from freeze damage if it doesn't get too cold but won't do anything to protect new foliage, even with the tarp . I'd be tempted to move anything with fully opened leaves into a garage or out building if your temps are forecast to fall into the 20's... better safe then sorry. If you move them in tomorrow, I'd say just leave them there until Sunday. My temps are supposed to be in the mid to low 30's so all the newly repotted trees go on the ground, get watered, and anything with leaves will get covered with a trash can, bucket or blanket.

That makes a lot of sense to me. Even an unheated garage or open porch will provide a new degrees of protection.

One thing to avoid is an open space on a clear night. Heat radiates into space and surfaces that face the sky can get colder than the air temperature itself.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We officially have about 200% more of these posts this year than last.

I wanna see pics!

Mine have been in the same state for Damn near 2 weeks.

I think you're best off just grillin the shit out of them, give em the "evil eye", cuss at em a bit....

I told mine some shit like...

Ybtrntfknopnsnofabytchs....

And it worked....

Sounds like no repots yet?
And no open leaves?

Don't even sweat it.

Sorce

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Makes no sense at all. Once had Ponderosa from young 2-3 year old seedling for about 31-32 years and out in all weather including when temps didn't get above teens for several days. All trees soil then was just average garden dirt. One winter came heavy rains and then hard freeze. Spring came and tree DEAD:mad:! Believe was killed by frozen H2O in pot blasted roots and killed. Have never done anything so stupid intentionally!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Stupid idea:rolleyes:. Once had Ponderosa killed after heavy rains and then hard freeze in Winter time:mad:! Believe roots blasted by hard frozen WET soil. Had had this tree for 31-32 years from seedling and exposed in all weather including temps not above teens for several days.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
In the past I sprayed a mist on trees once the temperature reduced far enough to possible freeze the mist. It seemed to protect the leaves from the razor sharp edges of frost. It worked for me....but I have no scientific fact backing anything up. Once the temps warmed up the mist just naturally dripped away. The hose after awhile was like bending dry spaghetti.

I tried a tarp once....it sagged and stuck to the leaves. Not pretty. The soil heat rose...the tarp blocked the air escape...and I had a frozen tarp that was heavier than the branches liked. The next tarp time I put stakes in the ground for support so the tarp and trees did not touch. They seemed to get along better together after that.

Another time, I put a few oak logs in a metal barrel near the center of the trees. I think that the low heat from the barrel kept the immediate area frost free. I think I may have watched to many movies with people hovering around barrels of fire for warmth.

Once I cut some pine branches, eastern white pine, and strategically supported them above trees with poles. Worked. Probably looked like I was hiding artillery from a satellite view.

I have had fun trying things.

Clarification though.....all my trees are in the ground growing....and exposure to the elements is natural. Spring frosts are always difficult though. We can have those frosts all the way into May.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Makes no sense at all. Once had Ponderosa from young 2-3 year old seedling for about 31-32 years and out in all weather including when temps didn't get above teens for several days. All trees soil then was just average garden dirt. One winter came heavy rains and then hard freeze. Spring came and tree DEAD:mad:! Believe was killed by frozen H2O in pot blasted roots and killed. Have never done anything so stupid intentionally!
Stupid idea:rolleyes:. Once had Ponderosa killed after heavy rains and then hard freeze in Winter time:mad:! Believe roots blasted by hard frozen WET soil. Had had this tree for 31-32 years from seedling and exposed in all weather including temps not above teens for several days.
Water releases heat as it freezes... the water in a root ball will freeze before the root tissue will... so, not really stupid at all. What's stupid is leaving your trees, and particularly Ponderosa pines, in regular garden soil... really stupid.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
really stupid.

Trophy winners aren't supposed retaliate!
:p

Isn't sure enough to call stupid!o_O

What shape was the pot?
I'm thinking of BVF's "heaving" thread and the effects of freeze.

My baskets give a bit on all sides but the concrete bottom.
I've watered, before, during(oops!), and after a freeze, and I have never had a tree die solely due to it. To Negative 20F.

The soil in my boxwood basket this year looked like something was burrowing in it! But it is pushing buds.

Let's trade throwing around "stupid", with a polite path to learning yes?

Sorce

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The day before yesterday it was 72F and knowing it could possibly snow today I watered everything. I also cleaned the water bins for the bald cypress and willow and refilled them with water. After that I put nursery pots upside down over any bulbs or garden plants that have started early with a stone on top to hold them in place.
Today, a few minutes ago I reached to get an oak leaf out of a fresh water bin to discover the water is frozen solid and it is 26F out there...
By far that is the most freeze protection I have done in years and was actually the watering that will help the most - as @Dav4 mentioned it is beneficial...
Another FIRST was only three plants were showing buds and leaf so they received water and went into the shed until there are no more frosts, fifty or more remain out there protected only by water and will be just fine.

Grimmy

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don't think I would try this especially with trident maples

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't think I would try this especially with trident maples

That is common sense as they would be more then likely protected in a shed or elsewhere anyways.

I am specifically talking about potted deciduous here. American Elms, Oaks, Willow, Bald Cypress, Japanese Maple, Amur Maple, Beech, Birch, Junipers(5 types), Dogwood, Redbud, Colorado Blue Spruce, Fruit trees, and more that are still dormant only showing some color change in branch and tiny nubs for buds.

If I were to have some varieties such as Trident or Live Oak, they would be in a shed or similar anyways.

Also, if any of the above were in leaf or pushing flower they would go in the shed as I have done with three. Cotoneaster, Toyo Nishiki, and Rhododendron. The mild Winter here and their east and west sun position caused them to wake up far before danger of a deep frost will pass. Next year they will be in a west sun only area shaded from the east all morning and I am certain they will "sleep" longer. Those three were experimental and although they are doing great I am still learning their proper wintering.

Grimmy

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
If you have to ask - they need protected simply as that - all my trees that have leafed out or repotted go in my garage for the weekend as temp will be down to 27 - why take a risk on tree you have years invested in?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Trophy winners aren't supposed retaliate!
:p

Isn't sure enough to call stupid!o_O

What shape was the pot?
I'm thinking of BVF's "heaving" thread and the effects of freeze.

My baskets give a bit on all sides but the concrete bottom.
I've watered, before, during(oops!), and after a freeze, and I have never had a tree die solely due to it. To Negative 20F.

The soil in my boxwood basket this year looked like something was burrowing in it! But it is pushing buds.

Let's trade throwing around "stupid", with a polite path to learning yes?

Sorce
Well, Pottie was quite clear with what he thought of my advice so I'm just returning the favor. "Stupid" is a word I use only in very particular situations, but when the shoe fits....

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We officially have about 200% more of these posts this year than last.

I wanna see pics!

Mine have been in the same state for Damn near 2 weeks.

I think you're best off just grillin the shit out of them, give em the "evil eye", cuss at em a bit....

I told mine some shit like...

Ybtrntfknopnsnofabytchs....

And it worked....

Sounds like no repots yet?
And no open leaves?

Don't even sweat it.

Sorce

According to a curator at Duke Gardens we have had 50% of the normal dormancy time at this point of the year.

Lars Grimm

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you have to ask - they need protected simply as that - all my trees that have leafed out or repotted go in my garage for the weekend as temp will be down to 27 - why take a risk on tree you have years invested in?

I plan to protect them, I just don't have space to bring all of them into a shed or garage so I was looking for additional protective measure I could take while having them outside under a tarp.

Top Bottom