Hard Id

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I don´t know if loquats have thorns, but this one have very long thorns (pic #1)
Loquats do have thorns per the reference i pasted from google
i think most citrus trees have thorns in fact but i could be wrong

if its a loquat, they are pretty well respected for eating i believe

@Snorlax99 got it i think. just looked those up

Snorlax99

Yamadori
Reaction score
They also are hardy SOB's in my climate. I trunk chopped one(no cut paste) and bare -rooted it in autumn past, and now that spring has sprung here, it has flushed with growth. Not even a stumble.

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, I'm amazed. I've been asking people, looking in internet, and thought this one was hard to identify. You proved me wrong. Thanks to all!!!!
Also, I think I'll try to taste this fruit. I've been rejecting to eat it for the last 25 years (no birds eating it was a stop signal to me)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Poncirus trifoliata is very similar in leaves and thorns, but the fruit is more like an orange....
Is this tree deciduous? Trifoliate orange is pretty much an orange--it's in the citrus family. Poncirus is the "hardy" orange and loses leaves come winter. It's hardy to zone 6...the Kei apple is another good candidate. It is evergreen, so that's why I asked if the tree loses its leaves in the winter...

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is this tree deciduous? Trifoliate orange is pretty much an orange--it's in the citrus family. Poncirus is the "hardy" orange and loses leaves come winter. It's hardy to zone 6...the Kei apple is another good candidate. It is evergreen, so that's why I asked if the tree loses its leaves in the winter...
Nope, it's evergreen here.....

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think trifoliate orange is more a lime or lemon, like kefir is, in my humble opinion. I don't know where it got the orange in the name.
Their position on the citrus family tree is a matter of debate; they don't seem to hybridize very well, and their genetic make up differs a whole lot from most wild citruses found in the world. Some types of citrus can't even be grafted on them due to those differences.
Some scientists think their diversion from the citrus genetic branch has been too long ago and it's a "new" family.
Too bad because they're the toughest citrus plants I know. Easy to propagate too! Leafless branches root in a blink.
I've been trying to work with both the flying dragon as well as the main type, to get some hardy rootstock and see if that hardiness is tranferrable. But I haven't been succesful in the past five years.. Mostly due to a lack of skill I hope.

Arnold

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Its Dovyalis caffra, here in Tenerife are common as ornamental trees also, they are a pretty cool species for bonsai I have seedlings

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The difference between the fruit of Dovyalis caffra and Ponceris is night and day. The leaves of the OP don't look trifoliate in the photos only because they are not of the foliage for purposes of ID, but everything else screams Ponceris. If the fruit is citrus, and the foliage is trifoliate, it is Ponceris. They have a billion fertile seeds, -cut one open, and striking cuttings takes two years for me.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If it is Ponceris, and I am not saying it is, I air layered my Flying Dragon very easily in 8 weeks. All 3 layers were from one plant and all took.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I vote Dovyallis kafra.

If it was Poncirus, crushed leaves and fruit would have distinct citrus odor. Dovyallis has a fairly neutral order.

Cut a fruit on half, post photos. Poncirus and or Citruss will have a structure common to all culinary citrus. Dovyallis will look quite different inside, more like an apple cut in half

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Loquats do have thorns per the reference i pasted from google
i think most citrus trees have thorns in fact but i could be wrong

if its a loquat, they are pretty well respected for eating i believe

@Snorlax99 got it i think. just looked those up
The ones in my area have no thorns that I'm aware of and very sweet fruit. The leaves are huge though.

Top Bottom