Hard water in SoCal?

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hi All,

I've lived and been doing bonsai in San Francisco for the last ten years. The water there was superb: no calcium build up on the pots or other problems ever. Moss grew great and the weather made it easy to care for trees.

I just moved to Thousand Oaks, CA and I know that the water here has a significantly larger amount of dissolved minerals in it. Can someone who lives in SoCal provide any information about water quality and steps they have taken to minimize damage, especially to smaller tress, from buildup of salts? The water here comes from the Sacramento river delta via the California aquaduct, where water in SF comes from Hetch Hetchy dam in Yosemite.

I'm considering purchasing a reverse osmosis system and collecting rainwater (was surprised to find TO gets as much annual rainfall as SF!) so that the trees do not suffer from the water quality.

Thanks,

Eric

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi All,

I've lived and been doing bonsai in San Francisco for the last ten years. The water there was superb: no calcium build up on the pots or other problems ever. Moss grew great and the weather made it easy to care for trees.

I just moved to Thousand Oaks, CA and I know that the water here has a significantly larger amount of dissolved minerals in it. Can someone who lives in SoCal provide any information about water quality and steps they have taken to minimize damage, especially to smaller tress, from buildup of salts? The water here comes from the Sacramento river delta via the California aquaduct, where water in SF comes from Hetch Hetchy dam in Yosemite.

I'm considering purchasing a reverse osmosis system and collecting rainwater (was surprised to find TO gets as much annual rainfall as SF!) so that the trees do not suffer from the water quality.

Thanks,

Eric
My area tap water is very hard with pH ~ 8. I have been using a home filtration system for almost 5 years. It reminds me that I have to change the charcoal. It works great since it removes chloride and reduces calcium deposit. My tree looks very healthy so far. Rainwater is a best choice anyway. Bonhe

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm always afraid to collect rainwater off of the roof fearing that it will pick up pollutants trapped in the shingles of the roof.

bisjoe

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
San Francisco and much of the east bay water comes from nearby Western Sierra mountain snow melt, and is among the purest in the country. In your new home about half the water comes from eastern sierra snowmelt but then travels 40-50 miles south in an open canal, the rest is from local groundwater sources so it will not be the same. Generally though, if you can drink it the water is fine for your trees, it's just annoying to have the mineral deposits on the soil and pots.

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Okay, thanks guys. One follow-up question: I'm trying to source fertilizer components locally, I use cottonseed meal and bone meal in large quantities, anyone know of a good source for 50 lb sacks of this stuff near here?

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Okay, thanks guys. One follow-up question: I'm trying to source fertilizer components locally, I use cottonseed meal and bone meal in large quantities, anyone know of a good source for 50 lb sacks of this stuff near here?
Hi Eric, this is a building supply which has many thing for bonsaiist icluding: cottonseed meal, bone meal, blood meal, oak leaf compost, DG, pumice. It used to have lava cinder but not anymore. I tried to convince them to get lava cinder back. Their prices are excellent. You can come to store to buy items. Good luck. Bonhe

p/s: almost forget to give you their website: http://www.ofwolfinbargerinc.com/

Top Bottom