Hard wood cutting on Chinese elm?

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Anyone have any luck propagating a Chinese elm from hard wood cuttings?

I have a few short branches (ideal for shohin or shito) I'd like to remove from another tree but there is no way I could air layer them off.

They are about 3/8 to 1/2 inch in diameter at the base and MAYBE 2-3 inches long. They have lots of smaller branches coming off of them and plenty of leaves.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance
Kevin

capnk

Mame
Reaction score
Kevin,
Easy to do, if you have the right setup.
The key is keeping the leaves moist after you stick the cuttings. We have a propagation house with misters on timers, etc., but most people don't.
But, if you want to try, take a cutting in the spring, put some rooting hormone on, and stick it in some very porous and well-draining soil. Mist the foliage as often as you can. Keep it out of direct sunlight.
Some people use propagation tents made of plastic.
In Oregon, our biggest problem with propagating cuttings is "damping off". This is a fungal infection of the new roots. So, we sterilize the soil before sticking, then treat with fungicide monthly.
Good luck, have fun.
Chris

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Root cuttings are the best way to go from a propagation standpoint. I would rather layer a branch in the 3/8 to 1/2 range for success. Cuttings are not reliable after about 1/4 inch.

I have taken root cuttings up to 1 inch with ease.

This little elm was a root cutting two years ago.

Attachments

• DSC_00840001.JPG
    DSC_00840001.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 119

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks Chris! Exactly what I was looking for. I have the material to make a setup like what you described.

Smoke that tree is what made me think of trying this cutting. I know that tree was from a root cutting and it looks AWESOME, but I will be removing these branches so I wanted advice on trying to root them instead of throwing them in the burn pit.
How thick was the root cutting you took for that tree?

Top Bottom