Hardiness Zones

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't have anything "developed" to send pics of. I have a grouping of 5 trees in the ground, a few other single trees in the ground gaining trunk size, and a few potted seedlings that are mostly young/straight material (possible fill in trees if I ever get the group out of the ground and into a container). If you google "dawn redwood bonsai" you'll find some good examples of developed trees. Bill Valavanis has a nice group planting that you might find on his blog.
I'm gonna look around and see if I can get a dawn redwood around here

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@sorce, never change buddy. I don't know what you say half the time but the other half of the time I enjoy what you say and since half of the time I spend here is time to kill at least 1/4 of the time I spend here I get something unexpected from the 50% of your posts which surprisingly make sense.

@B.uneasy - you are literally in the same zone as me. I am in NJ. You might be slightly colder because I am closer to the ocean. If you see the tree growing in the ground around you... it probably is fine. Get a copy of the Audobon Societ's Northeastern and Northwestern tree guides. Each species gives a native range which can help you determine if it will do well in our area. As others have mentioned, there are too many species and trees to list. You have to be more specific about what attributes you want. If you want cold hardiness and deciduous go for tried and true deciduous species like maples, elms, hawthorn, etc. I am experimenting with alder - an extremely cold hardy northeastern tree. Do some research while the winter is here and you've got nothing to do.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm gonna look around and see if I can get a dawn redwood around here
If you're just looking for a young seedling or two to develop, I might have one or two I could send in the spring. They are a few years old, mostly straight. I'd probably be willing to send them just for the cost of packing/shipping. If you want something more advanced, check ebay, Brussels, facebook auction sites. Local clubs are also a good source if you have any around.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think as far as bonsai goes, you live in the sweet spot. You can literally google ‘trees for zone...’

I like to use this site a lot to spruce up my tree knowledge
32060793-074E-4E85-AB58-8B9E0EE9F6F5.png

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think as far as bonsai goes, you live in the sweet spot. You can literally google ‘trees for zone...’

I like to use this site a lot to spruce up my tree knowledge
View attachment 274743
That is a good website. It's laid out nice and has great info. I use it often. 😁

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If you're just looking for a young seedling or two to develop, I might have one or two I could send in the spring. They are a few years old, mostly straight. I'd probably be willing to send them just for the cost of packing/shipping. If you want something more advanced, check ebay, Brussels, facebook auction sites. Local clubs are also a good source if you have any around.
That would be amazing if possible.

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Expensive compared to the quality you get, for sure. Sadly the price of higher quality does carry a cost.
Honestly, most of those trees are just real skinny, and shaped as an S. Not to hate, but I have wild maples in the yard that are nicer material then the pics I see on their website. Brussels seems way to overpriced.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Honestly, most of those trees are just real skinny, and shaped as an S. Not to hate, but I have wild maples in the yard that are nicer material then the pics I see on their website. Brussels seems way to overpriced.
You'll find most of the 'bigger' online bonsai stores tend to carry the most 'entry level' material. Do you know of the Facebook auction sites?

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

them S bended trees look much better if you chop them at the apex of the 2nd bend

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You'll find most of the 'bigger' online bonsai stores tend to carry the most 'entry level' material. Do you know of the Facebook auction sites?
Yes, I do. Ive found way nicer trees on ebay, worth a good deal compared to brussels.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dawn redwood is not all that great as a bonsai subject, particularly in small sizes--it's branching is gawky.

Brussels is expensive-but they have a good selection of bonsai species, but if you look around at local nurseries, even Wal Mart, this tree will show up.

Orion Metalhead gave excellent advice. Better bonsai species out there in your area. Don't get a species stuck in your head. It limits you...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd second, third and fourth a visit to Nature's Way. It's RIGHT IN YOUR BACKYARD, for crying out loud--it's is a 45 MINUTE DRIVE... Why bother fooling around with mail order?

Jim Doyle at Nature's Way is extremely knowledgeable and has excellent trees, from starter to extremely advanced.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dawn redwood is not all that great as a bonsai subject, particularly in small sizes--it's branching is gawky.[\quote]
True, it's good for larger trees or groups. Don't know if I've ever seen a good smaller d. redwood.

Brussels is expensive-but they have a good selection of bonsai species, but if you look around at local nurseries, even Wal Mart, this tree will show up.
Yeah the prices for Brussels tre

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
One thing NOT on your list is my go-to recommendation for "hard to kill trees": Chinese elm.

It's about the hardiest thing out there. Additionally, it is quite easy to propagate via cutting or air-layer, and there are many unique cultivars to choose from.

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
One thing NOT on your list is my go-to recommendation for "hard to kill trees": Chinese elm.

It's about the hardiest thing out there. Additionally, it is quite easy to propagate via cutting or air-layer, and there are many unique cultivars to choose from.
Thanks for the suggestion, I heard that they are very hardy.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'd second, third and fourth a visit to Nature's Way. It's RIGHT IN YOUR BACKYARD, for crying out loud--it's is a 45 MINUTE DRIVE... Why bother fooling around with mail order?

Jim Doyle at Nature's Way is extremely knowledgeable and has excellent trees, from starter to extremely advanced.

I keep hearing such praise for this place....I'm only 90 minutes south, just below the Old Line.
Gonna take the trip in spring.
Gotta hit Meehan's again too!

Top Bottom