Hardning off indoor bonasi

macdaddy52

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have different species of trees under fluoresent grow lights wanting to know exacltly how to get them outside. . I have a fan on them to simulate wind humidity is bewteen 64 and 70 temp in the low 70's to mid 70's.
I live in Nashville Tn and seems like all possibility of frost is over.
Any help would be appreciated.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the site!

As long as the threat of freezing is past, the sooner you get them outside the better. Spring equinox is already behind us, and the sun is only getting more intense every day. Where you place them outside depends a little on the artificial lighting intensity you had them under. The stronger the artificial lighting, the more quickly they can be moved into brighter light outdoors. If you are worried, you can start them in indirect light or dappled shade and move them into brighter light gradually. The outdoor lighting intensity you want them to end up in is, of course, dependent upon the species.

Expect that they will go through a transition phase and then burst forth in fresh growth that will likely be tighter and more dense than what you were seeing indoors (unless you have a crazy bright artificial lighting setup).

Any photos or species list?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Agree with BN. Many may drop leaves when you move them out, no matter how careful you are with the light. Don't panic. They'll bud back out with leaves more adapted to their new conditions.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Agree with BN. Many may drop leaves when you move them out, no matter how careful you are with the light. Don't panic. They'll bud back out with leaves more adapted to their new conditions.
Trees change their growth mode based on days getting shorter (passage of the summer solstice). Presumably tropicals also switch based on days getting longer (passage of the winter solstice) since they have leaves to sense daylight.

I've wondered how much of this 'leaf drop when going outside' phenomenon is due to a change in photoperiod. We're just past the spring equinox. There would not be much of a photoperiod change now if one was providing a 12 hour photoperiod under lights. But ... I'm just curious what kind of photoperiod youse guys use over winter.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You may have a point. I always used 16 h light, 8 h dark when I had my tropicals in a tent inside.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fascinating, since in the Winter, tropical light is from 6.30 a.m to 5.30 p.m
which is 11 hrs correct ?

Plus the first hour and the last hour are not intense as lighting up the
sky goes.

Starts around November and goes until around March.

For us temperatures are high 80's often night is low 70's
with as low as 64 deg.F once or twice a week.
Normally after Christmas.
From as early as 6.00 p.m until 8 a,m. the lows.

Information from the East Indies is that it is safe to
transplant the Tamarindus which originally was a zone 10
in Northern Africa.
Around April / May.
Good Day
Anthony

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah I was not trying to replicate the photoperiod at the equator but rather to maximize photosynthesis with lights that are much less intense than outdoor light.

macdaddy52

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to the site!

As long as the threat of freezing is past, the sooner you get them outside the better. Spring equinox is already behind us, and the sun is only getting more intense every day. Where you place them outside depends a little on the artificial lighting intensity you had them under. The stronger the artificial lighting, the more quickly they can be moved into brighter light outdoors. If you are worried, you can start them in indirect light or dappled shade and move them into brighter light gradually. The outdoor lighting intensity you want them to end up in is, of course, dependent upon the species.

Expect that they will go through a transition phase and then burst forth in fresh growth that will likely be tighter and more dense than what you were seeing indoors (unless you have a crazy bright artificial lighting setup).

Thanks I have a few Junipers, Brazilian Rain Tree, Chinese Elms, Alberta Spruce, Japanese Maples, Loropetalum, European Beech , and Mounjean Tea. The weather for the next ten days 70's 60's day lower 60's coldest 46. I put them under my deck which is second story good shade in morning put a 40 percent shade cloth on the west side. also have a lot of Japanese Maples in a green house putting them under shade a few at a time to see how they do.
Thanks again first time doing bonasi.

macdaddy52

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to the site!

I have Brazilian Rain Tree, Burning Bush, Chinese Elm, Alberta Spruce, European Beech, Ficus, Japanese Maples, had then under my hydroponic fluorescent grow lights. I did put them out under my deck after reading this, morning is shaded evening put 40 percent shade cloth on the west side. I also have a green house which have Japanese Maples putting them out in the shade a little at a time to see how they do
Thank you.

macdaddy52

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have Brazilian Rain Tree, Burning Bush, Chinese Elm, Alberta Spruce, European Beech, Ficus, Japanese Maples, had then under my hydroponic fluorescent grow lights. I did put them out under my deck after reading this, morning is shaded evening put 40 percent shade cloth on the west side. I also have a green house which have Japanese Maples putting them out in the shade a little at a time to see how they do
Thank you.
Sorry for the double reply thought I lost the first one.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Brazilian rain tree and ficus, also other tropical plants, should be protected at temps under 45. I will wait until it hits 55-60 to put mine outside in Iowa.

Top Bottom