Hardwood cuttings on winter

RyanSA

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hello there. I would like to know.. After watching many Youtube videos. It is winter here in South Africa. I stuck a few cuttings in the soil, hoping they will callus over and root by spring/summer.. I have never done this and don't know if it will work as it should.. Your thoughts?

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Eish...I can only comment on the jade. Done a few myself the weekend. It's winter here to. They'll root come spring. Just don't water until you see growth.
What soil did you use?

RyanSA

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nothing special really. A bit of garden compost mixed with potting soil and peat.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
You have put in a real mixed bag.
It is always possible to get something to strike against the odds but realistically some are easier than others. From your list I would give very good chances to:
Oleander and Jade. jade results will depend on how cold it gets there. Frost has killed any I have tried here.
I don't know about redbud having never tried that one or jacaranda.
I don't think honey locust strikes well from cuttings so that's an outside chance at best.
Mulberry is supposed to be quite easy but I have not managed any yet. Make what you will of that.
Kumquat is relatively easy to strike but better in warm weather with extra humidity. I think winter chances are slim.

Good luck.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah I don't think anybody will give you any hard and fast answer here....it's a dicey thing you did. You're as bored as me it seems 🤪
I guess we'll all have to wait and see aye?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Some species root real easy from hardwood in winter. Plums and apples are a couple I have done in bulk just burying the sticks in the garden. So simple but quite effective with the right species but not so good for others.

RyanSA

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yeah I don't think anybody will give you any hard and fast answer here....it's a dicey thing you did. You're as bored as me it seems 🤪
I guess we'll all have to wait and see aye?
Trying to build up a pre-bonsai little nursery. I always try to propagate what I find from my area and fancy. Would you believe, I have been at it for almost two years, and I still don't have a single bonsai. Maybe I should just give in and go buy pre-bonsai material from the city.
Last year, I wasn't educated enough to harvest yamadori - I am now patiently waiting for spring.
I have a couple of air layers going. Couple of seedlings I started from seed..

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Keep at it Ryan. Every great bonsai started out as a seed or cutting. It does take some time but it is a very rewarding path to travel if you have the will and the stamina.
Collecting is whole other ballgame but is still not instant.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trying to build up a pre-bonsai little nursery. I always try to propagate what I find from my area and fancy. Would you believe, I have been at it for almost two years, and I still don't have a single bonsai. Maybe I should just give in and go buy pre-bonsai material from the city.
Last year, I wasn't educated enough to harvest yamadori - I am now patiently waiting for spring.
I have a couple of air layers going. Couple of seedlings I started from seed..
Where are you in SA bru?

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ah where the good people are.
I'm from the ou Transvaal . 🤪
As Shibui said, just keep at it mate. It starts slow, but soon enough you'll dissapear down the rabbit hole. You need to go yamadori hunting.

RyanSA

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Ah where the good people are.
I'm from the ou Transvaal . 🤪
As Shibui said, just keep at it mate. It starts slow, but soon enough you'll dissapear down the rabbit hole.

We try to be good, but sometimes...... I will not discuss politics here. But will say this : you did good by moving to where you are.
I really hope so man. I gets discouraging at times - and a "brown garden finger" makes it harder.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know you are new to this but stop wasting your time and get a decent book or two on plant propagation.
Screw youtube completely until you have some basics down, then only screw youtube most of the time.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We try to be good, but sometimes...... I will not discuss politics here. But will say this : you did good by moving to where you are.
I really hope so man. I gets discouraging at times - and a "brown garden finger" makes it harder.
Yeah what's happening there can't be called politics :mad:
Another option is to get yourself some seeds. I imported seeds from the people below and have quite a few SAn bonsai trees now.
http://www.silverhillseeds.co.za/

Top Bottom