hardy plants

Zappa

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello I'm looking for a list of hardy plants...Im starting a career where I will be moving about every 3 months. I will stay in the united states but that is the only limitation. My plants are at risk of visiting alaska, florida, nevada, tennessee, mass, ect. Im still new to bonsai. Are there any non tropical bonsai that will be able to handle these moves or should I stick to tropical/subtropical plants for indoor growing?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Hardiness is relative, meaning you can have a plant that easily survives a zone 6 winter in Massachusetts, but wouldn't stand a chance in zone 2 Alaska, not to mention a summer in Florida or Nevada. Your success will also depend on what kind of growing conditions and winter protection you can provide. I'm sorry to say this, but I think a hobby in bonsai may be difficult If you have to move that frequently. Off hand, Japanese Black Pine and certain junipers would be the most adaptable to all the climates listed, but they all have their limitations. At least with a few tropical trees and an indoor lighting set up, the local climate wouldn't be the limiting factor.

Dave

Top Bottom