Harland/Kingsville Boxwood

Q-Bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
I am looking for a large Harland or Kingsville Boxwood. 2"+ trunk diameter.

Thanks!

woodguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The bonsai nursery here has some big pre bonsai Kingsvilles but they are expensive. Shanti Bithi in Stamford, CT.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have never seen a Kingsville with a trunk larger than a pencil. Last winter here in Florida I ran across one that had a trunk over 3 inches across, the man was willing to "let it go for $800" , I in turn let it stay..... This was a collected pre-bonsai, some root work done to fit it in a cut off 5 gallon nursery can, nothing special at all.

ed

woodguy

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'll give them a call! Do you happen to know if they ship?

Don't know about shipping. I know they're only open a couple days a week this time of year. The ones the have are big and as I remember in the 800-1000 range. Worth it though. If they were in my budget I would own one. Marco Invernizzi did some styling on one last time he was there.

augustine

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Meehans miniatures in MD has some very nice box woods. You can find them on-line.

Absolutely trustworthy people.

Augustine

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Steve Cratty at Plant City Bonsai loves boxwoods. I know he has a lot of both varieties, though the harlandii are a fairly recent addition. He doesn't sell on line, but he certainly ships and is extremely helpful.

Q-Bonsai

Mame
Reaction score
You guys are spot on. People are selling these boxwoods for a lot of money! To be fair, large ones are hard to come by but some people are charging quite a bit for pencils! I'll give Steve Crafty a call. I can't seem to get a hold of the individuals over at Shanti Bithi but will keep trying.

Thanks everybody

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You guys are spot on. People are selling these boxwoods for a lot of money! To be fair, large ones are hard to come by but some people are charging quite a bit for pencils! I'll give Steve Crafty a call. I can't seem to get a hold of the individuals over at Shanti Bithi but will keep trying.

Thanks everybody

Harlandii should be more affordable at that size but for Kingsville...due to their extremely slow growth, expect to pay a pretty penny. Beware too, some may claim their stock as Kingsville when it is not.

Good luck with your search! :)

Wee

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I was up at Plant City over the summer and I saw lots of Boxwoods in all sizes....Some they did if fact call Kingsville....I know they had tiny leaves but other than that I couldn't pick out a Kingsville from the rest. Really nice guys up there.

Brian

Top Bottom