Harris organic liquid fish fertilizer?

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just curious if anyone has any experience with this stuff and if it would be good for bonsai. It’s marked down to $1 at the Home Depot. Should I clean them out?

Attachments

• F6F99D63-F2A8-4B7B-A990-73E2F6844F2F.jpeg
    F6F99D63-F2A8-4B7B-A990-73E2F6844F2F.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 45

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would buy it for that price but it may not necessarily be a good bonsai fertilizer. You should have posted the formula and ingrediants. I use fish fertz but with kelp for all the micros.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would buy it for that price but it may not necessarily be a good bonsai fertilizer. You should have posted the formula and ingrediants. I use fish fertz but with kelp for all the micros.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 34

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yeah, I would buy a few bottles of that.
Yea I was thinking may be too good to pass up. If anything I can always dose my rain barrel with it that I use to water my little nursery. Muchos grassy ass

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just mix what you are going to use. If you put it in your rain barrel you will grow a lot of nasty smelly stuff.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Should work fine. What a deal. I like fish fert. My only problem is with the critters that love it as well. Some mesh over the soil usually does the trick though.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Should work fine. What a deal. I like fish fert. My only problem is with the critters that love it as well. Some mesh over the soil usually does the trick though.
That is good to know. I’m in a constant state of warfare with the squirrels here. Chicken wire is my best friend and I generally keep a baited trap and relocate unwanted nuisance animals a few miles away.

Attachments

• E276D03F-27D1-4431-B893-8774089F1218.jpeg
    E276D03F-27D1-4431-B893-8774089F1218.jpeg
    31.4 KB · Views: 38

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This little story about using fish fertilizer might be an anomaly, but here it is.
Several years ago, maybe 10, I had an apple tree that was covered with aphids. I sprayed all the foliage with fish fertilizer and all the aphids left while the tree dropped about half its leaves and leafed out all over with new leaves.
Another little story. When I was not quite 12 years old I prepared a strawberry bed in the traditional way of alternating hilled rows of one bare and one planted. I planted 25 ever-bearing plants. I was to understand that I was to pinch off all runners the first year. I did not. They produced enough new runners so that I filled all the bare rows with new plants and still pinched off hundreds of runners. My mom filled half the freezer with strawberries that very first year and to this day says that was the only time in her life she had enough strawberries. Many of them were the size of a 12 year old boy's fist. There was never a bug problem but we did have to race with the birds a bit. Every single week I prepared a big bucket of fish emulsion fertilizer, the stinky product of that time which was basically fish poop. I used a cup to pour water directly on each plant each week. At the end of that season I had over 100 healthy plants and those from runners were indistinguishable from the parent plants. Honestly, its hard to know at this stage of life how much of this was due to the fish poop, and how much was due to the magic expectations in a young boys heart. Both were very powerful together, that much is certain.
Two years later it was taken over by weeds because girls were a lot more important to me.
I am sure I will be using fish fertilizer as long as I can carry a bucket.

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I used a cup to pour water directly on each plant each week
I intended to type smelly concoction of fish poop, not water.
Two years later it was taken over by weeds because girls were a lot more important to me.
They still are but now I try to have my priorities straight.

Last edited:

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This little story about using fish fertilizer might be an anomaly, but here it is.
Several years ago, maybe 10, I had an apple tree that was covered with aphids. I sprayed all the foliage with fish fertilizer and all the aphids left while the tree dropped about half its leaves and leafed out all over with new leaves.
Another little story. When I was not quite 12 years old I prepared a strawberry bed in the traditional way of alternating hilled rows of one bare and one planted. I planted 25 ever-bearing plants. I was to understand that I was to pinch off all runners the first year. I did not. They produced enough new runners so that I filled all the bare rows with new plants and still pinched off hundreds of runners. My mom filled half the freezer with strawberries that very first year and to this day says that was the only time in her life she had enough strawberries. Many of them were the size of a 12 year old boy's fist. There was never a bug problem but we did have to race with the birds a bit. Every single week I prepared a big bucket of fish emulsion fertilizer, the stinky product of that time which was basically fish poop. I used a cup to pour water directly on each plant each week. At the end of that season I had over 100 healthy plants and those from runners were indistinguishable from the parent plants. Honestly, its hard to know at this stage of life how much of this was due to the fish poop, and how much was due to the magic expectations in a young boys heart. Both were very powerful together, that much is certain.
I learned two things today. I will be cleaning house on fish fertilizer today and I will be planting strawberries too. I love story time here 😂

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
From my experience with labels and proper directions for fish/kelp emulsion, generally I use about 3-4 tablespoons in a 2 gal can. In my opinion, the dosage they give you on the label is maximized so you go through it quickly and need to purchase more. I use Advanced Nutrients Iguana Juice for my veggies because it is organic. It is marketed towards weed growers with a big cash crop. Very expensive and half strength has been plenty for regularly producing tomatoes over a pound.

If you did and experiment or if a wager was on the line, I don’t think you would see a growth difference between full strength and half strength to even a quarter strength. I usually go by the rule, use the least to get the job done.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ended up with 11 bottles
You will be happy with your purchase and results. I buy it by the gallon. Mine is Neptune's Harvest with Seaweed. On Amazon it is about $40 per gallon. At the local feed store it is about $60.
I personally use it as a foliar spray about every week. I also use it as a soil drench for plants that are newly potted to give them a head start. You are going to get a lot of opinions from others and this is mine after using it over more than 50 years.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another little story..
My wife had a girls afternoon in the garden coctails and everything. Then I watered my trees with fish emulsion. My wife did not have a girls afternoon in the garden anymore. :)

Top Bottom