Harsh freeze- negative temps for highs

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Our annual harsh freeze on the way . We are looking at lows close to -30 Fahrenheit for several days.just moved all my trees into my attic . It’s 30* F in there 👍🏻

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can leave an acer palmatum in my garage down to 10 degrees Fahrenheit. I have to bonsai two step in winter, not just spring.lol

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The garage can mirror outside temp after a couple days . Less work to put them in the attic than heat the garage. The garage is 10 Fahrenheit and will drop more, it usually stays ten degrees F higher than outside. I use the attic when we go sub zero up here. My Amur maples stay out though, tough little guys

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
The garage can mirror outside temp after a couple days . Less work to put them in the attic than heat the garage. The garage is 10 Fahrenheit and will drop more, it usually stays ten degrees F higher than outside. I use the attic when we go sub zero up here. My Amur maples stay out though, tough little guys
Is it an attached garage? If so, and it gets below zero that's pretty rough. I don't have a whole lot of experience with extended subzero temps, but here in Michigan we have had that weather and my trees outdoors sitting on the ground were unphased. Japanese maples, tridents, elms, beech, and of course a bunch of different conifer and evergreen stuff. More tender stuff like satsuki would not survive an extended deep freeze like that. You'd be surprised how hardy these trees really are. The polar vortex we had 2 years ago or whenever that was did not phase my trees sitting on the ground, buried in snow. Caveat, all the good stuff was in my greenhouse sleeping at 30 degrees.

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is it an attached garage? If so, and it gets below zero that's pretty rough. I don't have a whole lot of experience with extended subzero temps, but here in Michigan we have had that weather and my trees outdoors sitting on the ground were unphased. Japanese maples, tridents, elms, beech, and of course a bunch of different conifer and evergreen stuff. More tender stuff like satsuki would not survive an extended deep freeze like that. You'd be surprised how hardy these trees really are. The polar vortex we had 2 years ago or whenever that was did not phase my trees sitting on the ground, buried in snow. Caveat, all the good stuff
The problem up here is trees staying frozen for too long. We have had many days in single digits already. Unable to drink. Garage is unattached and not insulated. They need to thaw sometimes

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

That's really interesting, I never thought of checking my attic temperatures. That could open some options.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I do not envy your temperatures at all...And I've been complaining about my 7 zone winter lol.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do not envy your temperatures at all...And I've been complaining about my 7 zone winter lol.
I know right! I am preparing for one of the weatherfronts that seem to remind the weather guys of the last horror winter, in 1978. But we are talking a series of days where temps will be at -10c / 14F and nights in low single digits F. Nothing compared to this!

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I give all the props in the world to people that live in those climate. I am more of a Florida-California guy, I am just not ready to make that change yet.

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
The problem up here is trees staying frozen for too long. We have had many days in single digits already. Unable to drink. Garage is unattached and not insulated. They need to thaw sometimes
Mine stay frozen solid all winter. That is not an issue. A constant freezing/thawing/freezing/thawing cycle is far worse than staying frozen. Its actually ideal to get them to freeze solid and stay frozen.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
That's really interesting, I never thought of checking my attic temperatures. That could open some options.
I put a few trees in the attic a couple years ago, when we had an extended period of extremely cold temps.

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine stay frozen solid all winter. That is not an issue. A constant freezing/thawing/freezing/thawing cycle is far worse than staying frozen. Its actually ideal to get them to freeze solid and stay frozen.

51F89E1D-DBF1-4ED7-8D7A-328BFA7FEF10.png

Top Bottom