Harts Shohin Trash Elms

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thought I’d start a thread on what I consider to be itchy bonsai trigger finger relievers. I’ve seen several people ask, “what keeps you the busiest in your garden?”. For me it’s my elms. I’ve got several varieties but have more Siberian Elms than anything else. Not because Siberian elm is some unkept bonsai gem of a tree, but because they are hardy, they respond to EVERYTHING, and they are extremely plentiful here in the 505. By having plenty of Siberian elm shohin, I can itch that trigger finger that wants to do work but knows I can’t do it on some of my nicer trees. All these were started just this year and I plan to start several shohin trash elms every year. In the Bosque here in Abq, there are literally millions, and all of these were gathered in a matter of minutes, cut to a stump with almost no roots, screwed to a board and left to grow. I cut back as much or as little as needed and they were all shortened with a second chop at least once this season.
1E8025B6-D23F-4330-95C6-183590EBC94F.jpeg1DE6FC1C-8B6F-456C-974C-7D1637676B07.jpeg53DE13C4-F53F-4E1E-AFD3-4D17E7F1BF9C.jpegA00F1B54-F08E-4AC2-BC37-CA885E2794CB.jpeg04CE82E8-0A05-4740-98CE-E2376DA61E28.jpeg

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wrapped a die cast model of a car last year in Siberian elm roots that was doing great, but that group was one of the ones I lost in mid summer when my trees were horribly under-watered for a week. So clearly they are not impermeable to death, but tough as nails mostly. I’m going to try this again at some point. Maybe next spring.
AFF19496-2B72-48FD-8D8F-7D2721448273.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
all of these were gathered in a matter of minutes, cut to a stump with almost no roots, screwed to a board and left to grow.

In the middle of this summer, I pulled a sapling straight out of the ground and planted it in bonsai soil. It recovered just fine. But a largish stump I recovered from a construction site about 24 hours post-removal did not do so well (it died). I am curious, with a mature elm what soil and what kind of watering routine you use?

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Fun little projects! I wonder if there are a bunch of them like that near the streams around here…

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the middle of this summer, I pulled a sapling straight out of the ground and planted it in bonsai soil. It recovered just fine. But a largish stump I recovered from a construction site about 24 hours post-removal did not do so well (it died). I am curious, with a mature elm what soil and what kind of watering routine you use?
In the past with mature Siberian elms, I’ve soaked them in a bucket of water for several hours once at home. Then I’ve had the most success with all collected trees with 100% pumice. Watering ALOT. like 2-3 times a day a lot.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Fun little projects! I wonder if there are a bunch of them like that near the streams around here…
I bet you do. It’s insane how many are growing in our valleys, dry creek beds and everywhere really. I often see them also, growing up the middle of stop sign posts. Throwing branches out the side holes. They are a blessing and a curse here.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I bet you do. It’s insane how many are growing in our valleys, dry creek beds and everywhere really. I often see them also, growing up the middle of stop sign posts. Throwing branches out the side holes. They are a blessing and a curse here.
I’d trade you all day for the countless amounts of boxelder maples constantly popping out of everywhere in the yard!
A trash tree for sure. 🤣

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1 more elm created this year. Simple raft project. Maybe just out of shohin range but it’s still pretty small.
0433B97A-F9D4-4324-A5A2-A06954039E03.jpeg

back side could work also. And maybe it works better as the larger trees are in the foreground.
6C3887F2-19E4-4BFA-B038-2476650ADD09.jpeg

Last edited:

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1 more elm created this year. Simple raft project. Maybe just out of shohin range but it’s still pretty small.
View attachment 408022

back side could work also. And maybe it works better as the larger trees are in the foreground.
View attachment 408023

Have you considered laying this one all the way on it's side and going full raft? Should work well.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Have you considered laying this one all the way on it's side and going full raft? Should work well.
I have. I’m preferring the extension of the trunk extending out in this way. Feels more interesting to me given the arrow straight trunk. On my list is a full raft. Just need to fine the right candidate.

Top Bottom