Harvesting wild tree with lots of Driftwood

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hello everyone. I'm thinking about harvesting a Yaupon Holly (Ilex vomitoria) I found growing outside. It's growing in a nice curved fashion and the entire trunk is rotting driftwood on one side. The tree must have had a big accident years ago. My question is if you guys think such a seemingly fragile tree can successfully be transplanted? I'm afraid it might not bud back if I decide to chop off the top.

For reference I live in East Texas (9a) and it will not be dropping below 40F until probably late November, early December.

Attachments

• 20201008_221748.jpg
    20201008_221748.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 95

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I think it has rotted to much compared to the trunk thickness, almost half of the trunk is gone.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn.... Thursday?

Welcome to Crazy!

Friend of mine had a rental once....it was perrywinkle blue.

Sorce

JPM

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
In the back seat?🤢

Sorce
Lol I thought you were quoting something from the movie snatch where he says he wants to periwinkle blue caravan for his mama!! Guess that must’ve been just a coincidence I’ve never heard someone make a suggestion about a periwinkle blue caravan and not be talking about the movie snatch!!! Lol 😂

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
it should backbud IF the tree is strong when you chop it. From the picture it is a little hard to tell. I would probably leave it fairly long upon collect. PLant and let it root. Then the next year make the cut as you want it.

Top Bottom