Has anyone been to Tokoname?? Questions, questions!

Pepibom

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
My wife and I are planning a trip to Japan in November…mostly the Kyoto, Shikoku area. My wife’s mom is a potter and so she (my wife) is keen to visit some pottery towns and buy gifts for her mom and herself. So much in the same way last year we were serendipitously in Kyoto during the Taikan-Ten competition in Kyoto (Look! I just typed in “Bonsai Kyoto” and look what’s happening!—heheh.) I’d like to pull this “move” on a trip to Tokoname. You can see where this is going right?
My question is: will traveling to Tokoname present itself as a serendipitous opportunity to be drowning in bonsai pot shopping opportunities or is this not really the case.
I’m not a complete animal. We may end up going there anyway because of its rich history but just wanted to know what the bonsai pot shopping experience is.

Thanks

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am sure someone will give you more personal feedback. But I found this link recently when searching for some information on a potter.

General recommendation try to go to a sumo event.

6C67A522-A9FA-41D2-A94A-DE41A8934B43.jpeg

Pepibom

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I am sure someone will give you more personal feedback. But I found this link recently when searching for some information on a potter.

General recommendation try to go to a sumo event.

View attachment 475458
Been several times! Big fan.

Reaction score
Tokoname is arguably my favourite of the six traditional pottery centres in Japan, but you need to appreciate that it's not just about bonsai pots. It's most famous in Japan for teapots and production pottery (chemical jars; etc.). There's two areas to visit. First, is the area around the Ceramic Hall (shop and gallery) which is a short walk (5-10 mins) from Tokoname station on the Meitetsu Railway line. There are two 'Walking Courses' (A & B) that both start at the Ceramic Hall. I'd recommend Course A (see attached NIC walking guide & map) as it's more scenic and interesting. Unfortunately, you won't see so many bonsai pots on it, though as I recall one of the potteries on the Course A makes bonsai pots. Walking Course B takes you closer to some of the potteries making bonsai pots, but the areas it goes through aren't as scenic. (Sorry, my file with a map of Course B was too large to upload.) It's a little challenging to visit those potteries unless you have some Japanese knowledge, but possible.

The second 'area' to visit is the 'Ceramall'. This is where the shop and gallery for the Tokoname Bonsai potters co-op is located (Marutatu mentioned in the Bonsai Tonight article). The Ceramall is located about 25 min walk from Enokido station (two stops before Tokoname). You can walk from Ceramall to the Ceramic Hall, but it's about 35-40 mins.
Enjoy!

Attachments

• nic_walking_guide_22.pdf
    933.6 KB · Views: 4
  • mappath1.gif
    mappath1.gif
    83.5 KB · Views: 7
Top Bottom