Has anyone else tried this wacky idea?

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Namely, foliar feeding with sugar water when a pine's foliage has suffered extensive damage.

My reasoning is this: compromised foliage means less photsynthesis, which means less fuel (in the form of sugars) for the tree's metabolism. I'm thinking a sugar-water spray might help.

(The bees would love it too, come to think of it.)

Has anyone tried this, or heard of it being tried?

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Namely, foliar feeding with sugar water when a pine's foliage has suffered extensive damage.

My reasoning is this: compromised foliage means less photsynthesis, which means less fuel (in the form of sugars) for the tree's metabolism. I'm thinking a sugar-water spray might help.

Ants aphids and other bad bugs may love it more then the bees though. Good idea in theory if you can keep the bad bugs away. Maybe an insecticide in the sugar water to make it unappetizing to insects.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Molassess is used for this in hydroponic farming of dope. Molasses one day, straight water the next day. Molasses is also a pest deterrent. No sugar though, brown or white. 2 tablespoons molasses per gallon.

You may get better results by placing a pan of water under the plant and getting a large chunk of dry ice. Build a make shift tent around it, large and loose enough for it to vapor off easily.
Again this is done in dope farming all the time with seltzer water. I think the dry ice does a better job. The co2 tent for a plant is like giving a human oxygen when they are down and out.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

I've done it, and for the reasons you mention. The trees I used it on did not die, and I had no negative effects due to its use. I would use it again given the right need to.

Last edited:

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
if you do some research you can find some great info on limited sugar feeding and amino acids. While AA have trouble absorbing in the roots they may be able to be fed foilage

Top Bottom