Has anyone ever cobbled up an EFFECTIVE wind protection?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have a Japanese maple that I will have to either sell or find some way to protect from the wind.

It also needs SUN protection as EVERY summer it fries.

I can do the shade... (I think) but the wind is another matter.

I can find portable greenhouses but they are non porous plastic and I think the heat will just make into an oven.

Has anyone cobbled up something not TOO ugly to shield an Acer from the central CA blasts?

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
A women in my club we call madame maple has all of her maples surrounded by an 8ft wooden fence with 70% shade clothe over the top. Her trees are gorgeous and that's in the high desert southwest.

Aaron

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
We built what we call a wind house. I must have wind protection as we are up on a hill and it's windy here. Also I have maple and beech. It's just a frame with solexx panels (a greenhouse type material) I had a friend weld up frames for the doors, more solexx on those. They are hanging on a traveler track from above, so can slide closed when it's windy or open when not. Also can be partway opened. Used slide bolts into holes in the wood under the door area to secure them when closed or open. I use this as a bench area for sensitive trees. Old photos, funny to see some of those trees that are in it now. I also put shade cloth on the sides, that are pulled up and down thru pulleys as needed. I can give you more info if you want.
IMG_1136.jpg IMG_1137.jpg IMG_1138.jpg IMG_2566.jpg

Reaction score
Here it is not that hot, but most of the time professional growers surround there garden with wall's, hedges or fabric screen to avoid the high winds. I'm thinking of building a wooden frame so the shade cloth lays on top and the fabric can be pulled down and fastened on the south side to avoid the wind and sun burning. 2 Other sides have there wind protection from a hedge and a greenhouse.

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We built what we call a wind house. I must have wind protection as we are up on a hill and it's windy here. Also I have maple and beech. It's just a frame with solexx panels (a greenhouse type material) I had a friend weld up frames for the doors, more solexx on those. They are hanging on a traveler track from above, so can slide closed when it's windy or open when not. Also can be partway opened. Used slide bolts into holes in the wood under the door area to secure them when closed or open. I use this as a bench area for sensitive trees. Old photos, funny to see some of those trees that are in it now. I also put shade cloth on the sides, that are pulled up and down thru pulleys as needed. I can give you more info if you want.
View attachment 97566 View attachment 97567 View attachment 97568 View attachment 97569
Very nice structure!
Are the door frames Aluminum?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm thinking the SMART .....and easiest thing is to sell or trade my ONE maple and forget about wind with pines, junipers and elm.

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I made a small hoop house about 4 feet long and 3 feet high out of PVC. Then covered it with shade cloth and secured it with clamps. All from my local Lowes. I left one side unsecured so I could lift it to water and tend to my trees. Works great can provide more info and perhaps pictures if needed.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I made a small hoop house about 4 feet long and 3 feet high out of PVC. Then covered it with shade cloth and secured it with clamps. All from my local Lowes. I left one side unsecured so I could lift it to water and tend to my trees. Works great can provide more info and perhaps pictures if needed.
Considering that.
Also getting a few old antique window panes and fixing up a 3 sided contraption with a solid top. Open one side and light available.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
View attachment 97566 View attachment 97567 View attachment 97568 View attachment 97569
Wow that's awesome!

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I
I have a Japanese maple that I will have to either sell or find some way to protect from the wind.

It also needs SUN protection as EVERY summer it fries.

I can do the shade... (I think) but the wind is another matter.

I can find portable greenhouses but they are non porous plastic and I think the heat will just make into an oven.

Has anyone cobbled up something not TOO ugly to shield an Acer from the central CA blasts?
I like hoop houses. Shade cloth will let water and some light in and should provide some wind protection. Make it outa pvc pipe. Zip tie the cloth to the tubes just right and it should be quite durable. Plástic does make some problems. My green house is made that way and it survives wind and monsoon rain and the earth trembling. Youll find good examples on you tube or google. Look at hoop houses. Hope that helps!

Top Bottom