Has Anyone Ever Seen or Heard of This Warning?

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
From an online source -

WARNING: Don't plant a juniper in your yard if there are apple trees in your yard or within a mile or two. There is a fungus called cedar-apple rust (Gymnosporangium juniperi-virginianae) which makes its home on juniper trees first, then transfers to apples, crabapples, hawthornes and quince, causing damage to both plants. The eastern redcedar (Juniperus virginiana) is the usual host on the juniper side, though many of the other species are also susceptible to at least some degree.

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
From an online source -

WARNING: Don't plant a juniper in your yard if there are apple trees in your yard or within a mile or two. There is a fungus called cedar-apple rust (Gymnosporangium juniperi-virginianae) which makes its home on juniper trees first, then transfers to apples, crabapples, hawthornes and quince, causing damage to both plants. The eastern redcedar (Juniperus virginiana) is the usual host on the juniper side, though many of the other species are also susceptible to at least some degree.

Yup-common knowledge. A little stupid though, the spores are everywhere in cedar/apple rust country. Like everyone around where I live, I have apples and junipers and just deal with the rust and gall issues--its manageable. It seems to get into the hawthorns, apples, virginiana, and blue rugs the worst. Never see associated galls or jelly ooze in shimpaku. Outbreaks are cyclic and controlled by fungicide.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
What Crust said. The rust infects several juniper species as well as many members of the rose family- this includes apple, hawthorn, and flowering quince among others. I keep a yamadori hawthorn right next to my Rocky Mountain Junipers, mainly because that's where the bestlight is in my yard. Every March, I need to prune away the swelling galls on the junipers before they burst with orange jelly...I consider it a right of spring:). Then I start spraying the junipers with my fungicide. I'm pretty sure I've seen it on shimpaku, but it definitely prefers RMJ, at least in my yard.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yup-common knowledge. A little stupid though, the spores are everywhere in cedar/apple rust country. Like everyone around where I live, I have apples and junipers and just deal with the rust and gall issues--its manageable. It seems to get into the hawthorns, apples, virginiana, and blue rugs the worst. Never see associated galls or jelly ooze in shimpaku. Outbreaks are cyclic and controlled by fungicide.

Okay this peaked my interest since I had to pull a shrub this year because it was infested with gull...roots and branches. So if first noticed it can be treated with fungicide? Crown gall...or is it another type of gull you speak of?

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I guess I'm going to be giving away my crabapple at the next club auction. I knew of cedar-apple rust; just not the relationship between crabapple and eastern reds.

Last edited:

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Okay this peaked my interest since I had to pull a shrub this year because it was infested with gull...roots and branches. So if first noticed it can be treated with fungicide? Crown gall...or is it another type of gull you speak of?

Gall(in general) is the damage left by feeding insects. Removing the infected leaves just makes the plant look better and it will normally bud again. Here I treat Crabapple, Cherry, and all Juniper and Cedar in Fall and Spring with Fungicide. I am certain the Fungicide treatment takes care of fungus that usually reoccurs. The gall however is probably the damage left from insects and removing the already damaged leaf seems to be all needed. Just how it seems to work here for me.

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Gall(in general) is the damage left by feeding insects. Removing the infected leaves just makes the plant look better and it will normally bud again. Here I treat Crabapple, Cherry, and all Juniper and Cedar in Fall and Spring with Fungicide. I am certain the Fungicide treatment takes care of fungus that usually reoccurs. The gall however is probably the damage left from insects and removing the already damaged leaf seems to be all needed. Just how it seems to work here for me.

Grimmy

See...something has been living under it this past winter. Damaged it's roots...it was polluted with crown gall. I am afraid to plant anything other than plants not known to get gall. (Found a small list) Sadly none is on the list for growing near walnut trees.

Can the soil be treated with the fungicide?

If crown gall is found on a recently planted tree or shrub, dig up the plant along with the soil immediately around the roots and dispose of it. Do not add infected plant material to compost piles! It is best to dispose of infected woody plants by burning.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
See...something has been living under it this past winter. Damaged it's roots...it was polluted with crown gall. I am afraid to plant anything other than plants not known to get gall. (Found a small list) Sadly none is on the list for growing near walnut trees.

Can the soil be treated with the fungicide?

Myself I look at this a little different separating insect from fungus damage. If I felt the soil/substrate was contaminated by either I would most likely use a strong systemic on it for a season before replanting the area. I would not use a fungicide for anything other then the plants and not in the soil, but that is me and perhaps others will pipe in.

Grimmy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Myself I look at this a little different separating insect from fungus damage. If I felt the soil/substrate was contaminated by either I would most likely use a strong systemic on it for a season before replanting the area. I would not use a fungicide for anything other then the plants and not in the soil, but that is me and perhaps others will pipe in.

Grimmy

Systematic what!?!

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I guess I'm going to be giving away my crabapple at the next club auction. I knew of cedar-apple rust; just not the relationship between crabapple and eastern reds.

You better get rid of any Junipers and/or Hawthorns you have at the same time, just to be sure ...

:rolleyes:

ed

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Systematic what!?!

I think he meant systematic reading of the posts .......
:p

'Course he may have been referring to a systemic fungicide, one that is applied to the soil and is drawn up through the roots into the plants system ..

ed.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You better get rid of any Junipers and/or Hawthorns you have at the same time, just to be sure ...

:rolleyes:

ed

There's always one comedian in the bunch :rolleyes: I have one crabapple I bought last year but it's a pain in the neck to keep up with. It always seems to have something wrong with it; bugs or fungus. I've probably treated it 5 times since spring. It was just a box store pickup with a decent base. No harm no foul. :)

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a

Grimmy

Galls are essentially abnormal woody tissue growth, usually roundish in shape, that result from some kind of injury to the plant. Both insect activity and fungal infection can result in galls. The Cedar-apple rust induced galls I've seen on my junipers are usually firm, green or brown in color, and can easily be confused with berries...until the swell up and burst into those gelatinous monstrosities.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The Cedar-apple rust induced galls I've seen on my junipers are usually firm, green or brown in color, and can easily be confused with berries...until the swell up and burst into those gelatinous monstrosities.

...and another good reason to keep removing the berries from our junipers.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve been thinking about this disease, lately. I haven’t seen any of the galls or jellies on trees around here. From what I’ve read, it doesn’t seem to be a prevalent issue in the Pacific Northwest.

Regardless, I’m comfortable spraying copper fungicides.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Routine spring spraying with lime sulfur will keep cedar apple rust away. Spray both juniper and Rosaceous plants.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Never noticed it. Used to keep my trees near an ancient apple tree where I used to live. Maybe it doesn't happen in some areas or maybe the Bayer systemic 3 in 1 really works.

Top Bottom