Has anyone gotten Chojubai from Brussel's?

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I noticed Brussel's is now selling chojubai for $70. I've seen places selling much smaller cuttings for $30-40 so this price doesn't seem too bad. And I've ordered plants from them before and found they generally arrive healthy and as pictured (though I wouldn't consider them more than pre-bonsai at best). The part that bugs me is that the picture shows a fully leafed out tree in bloom - and my understanding is that chojubai normally bloom when they are out of leaf. It makes me think this might be some other quince variety and not chojubai. Has anyone ordered one from them and do you know if they are actual chojubai?

DT9422RCQ_sm__50232.1649795273.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
If they’re sold as Chojubai, I’d tend to believe it from Brussels…but that photo is definitely photoshopped. You’re right that it looks weird to be in that growth phase and also in full bloom. Looking closer it is clear that the same couple flowers are used multiple times in that shot.

E960C1E6-75BC-44A8-9C8F-06E62A52EC28.jpeg

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I ordered one in early January. It arrived quickly and was packaged well. I only have one other chojubai, also new, so I can't really compare. But I'd be surprised if they're selling something mislabled. The few leaves it had when it arrived where quite small, about 1 cm. The other one I have is from Evergreen Gardenworks. Forgot how much that cost, but this one is definitely bigger.

PXL_20230112_000930777 (1).jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I noticed Brussel's is now selling chojubai for $70. I've seen places selling much smaller cuttings for $30-40 so this price doesn't seem too bad. And I've ordered plants from them before and found they generally arrive healthy and as pictured (though I wouldn't consider them more than pre-bonsai at best). The part that bugs me is that the picture shows a fully leafed out tree in bloom - and my understanding is that chojubai normally bloom when they are out of leaf. It makes me think this might be some other quince variety and not chojubai. Has anyone ordered one from them and do you know if they are actual chojubai?
The one I purchased wasn't from Brussel's directly but from a local club member who runs a small bonsai shop and had picked some up for the sake of having a bit more stock. Other than the bark becoming rough which I don't think one could reasonably expect for another twenty years or so, it displays every attribute consistent with Chojubai such as serrated leaves and tight internodes. I'd agree with Brian that they probably edited the photo to make better marketing material, mine is totally barren other than its flower buds. My only qualm is the production pots they pick are ugly as sin, but I think they're usually established enough you can repot them when the appropriate time comes.

karen82

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If they’re sold as Chojubai, I’d tend to believe it from Brussels…but that photo is definitely photoshopped. You’re right that it looks weird to be in that growth phase and also in full bloom. Looking closer it is clear that the same couple flowers are used multiple times in that shot.

View attachment 474214

I knew there was something off about it. I saw that photo used on an eBay listing, and my first thought was scam, but then I saw the same photo on Brussel's which I know is a legitimate company... it still seems odd that they would choose to photshop it.

19Mateo83

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

View attachment 474214
Good eye Brian, the stuff people will do to make a buck is sad 😂

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I traded for one that I think was from Brussels it’s in the same pot as in the photoshopped photo Brian pointed out.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Leaves look correct for chojubai, with regard to blooming, mine(not from Brussels) bloom any time they feel like it. Spring, summer, autumn and winter

Reaction score
The photo looks like a Chaenomeles japonica Orange Delight which can be purchased from local nurseries for a fraction of the price ($10 USD). They also usually have multiple leaders which, though they tend to be straight, mean that with wiring, pruning and time that they can perhaps eventually look more like the typical clump-style chojubai you see in Japan. In my experience Chaenomeles japonica with red or creamy-white flowers are much harder to find here and so would be worth the price you quoted.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
The photo looks like a Chaenomeles japonica Orange Delight which can be purchased from local nurseries for a fraction of the price ($10 USD). They also usually have multiple leaders which, though they tend to be straight, mean that with wiring, pruning and time that they can perhaps eventually look more like the typical clump-style chojubai you see in Japan. In my experience Chaenomeles japonica with red or creamy-white flowers are much harder to find here and so would be worth the price you quoted.
Should be pretty easily worked out, 'Orange Delight' has the full sized foliage of Chaenomeles japonica, all Chojubai varieties necessarily have dwarfed foliage.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Definitely not Orange Delight, leaves on Orange Delight are slightly bigger, and the trunk is smoother.

Top Bottom