Has anyone had success with airlayering or ground layering or applying tourniquet on English oak?

AJL

Shohin
Reaction score
Im wanting to improve the nebari on an oak- Quercus robur by layering at the base and wondered if this can be done?- any advice or tips please?
The tree is about 3 inches in diameter at the base.

Mazzou

Seedling
Reaction score
How did it go??? I'm new to the group I love air rooting and grafting and basically turning trees into Frankenstein. Lol
I'm not too nutty, but totally enthralled with what you can do.

BobbyLane

Masterpiece
Reaction score
ive seen the question pop up a few times and not many if any have ground layered an oak. the article on bonsai4me says they are difficult to layer http://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Quercus.html

maybe you could try one and document the results here for others?
i have a couple of oaks in growing beds, they already had fairly decent nebari when i purchased, its important to start out with a decent nebari.

btw the tourniquet method is a little outdated, sometimes it works and other times it fails. have you seen it done successfully somewhere else?

ps ive just seen that this was a rebump, the original poster hasnt returned since starting the thread back in apr🤔

AJL

Shohin
Reaction score
I started my attempt at air layer on my Quercus robur in June but haven't disturbed the pot or tried to check inside it yet. No sign of roots emerging through the bottom of the pot yet so Im being patient this time!!The foliage above the layering point showed no signs of wilting or stress despite some extremely hot weather in the summer , so theres room for optimism! Ive attached photo of the Oak before layering 2019-04-08 08.33.31.jpg
I also airlayered Pyracanthas and evergreen Berberis darwinii the same week and they have ALL rooted brilliantly so I separated them back in August!

MrWunderful

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I have a couple Q. Lobata that I am going to try to air layer as well as tourniquet this upcoming year to see what happens. Both are extremely vigorous.

AJL

Shohin
Reaction score
A quick update:- The Oak is still alive and looking quite healthy- just came into leaf 2 weeks ago.
I had pIMG_0876.JPGartial success with the original air layer:- as you IMG_0874.JPGIMG_0876.JPGIMG_0874.JPGcan see roots have formed but unfortunately the trees has also partially callused and bridged the gaps.
Also I found 3 large slugs inside the original airlayer wrapping which cannot have helped the emerging roots.I dont know how they got in!
I have now recut the 'bridging' cambial layers between the new roots , dusted the upper cuts with hormone rooting powder and re- potted/ wrapped the air layer with a mix of akadama and compost.
Hopefully the tree will now produce a second crop of ymore roots.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Has anyone had success Taking cutting from Chishio Improved Maple. Maples 10
E Buying a trident maple seedling Would like to grow in ground.Has anyone planted in ground in the Chicago area with success. Or is it too cold. Maples 6
peterbone Has anyone dyed soil successfully? Soil and fertilizer (incl water and repotting) 6
Soup Dragon Has anyone tried thread grafting a wild olive (oleaster) Grafting, layering & propagating 4
Tycoss Has anyone tried root over stump/nursery log bonsai? Root-over-rock , rock planting 9
V Has anyone import bonsai trees from another country? What are the steps ? General Discussion 22
peterbone Has anyone tried this wire straitening tool? Tools & equipment (incl lighting and greenhouses) 16
B Has anyone grafted shimpaku onto a sabina? Junipers 4
Gsquared Has anyone ever done a severe chop on a copper beech? Other Deciduous 10
Clicio Anyone has got the blues? Me, the yellows. Tropicals 3
Mellow Mullet Has Anyone Used Phyton 35? General Discussion 24
pyro gaz has anyone used biochar? Soil and fertilizer (incl water and repotting) 13
shinmai Has anyone seen this before? New to Bonsai 8
karen82 Has anyone used PlantIt clay pebbles? Soil and fertilizer (incl water and repotting) 10
barrosinc has anyone achieved the koyo turquoise? Pots 13
AlainK Has anyone tried Nashi? Other Deciduous 0
bleumeon Has anyone grown calltris roei or cypress pine as bonsai? Other Conifers 6
T Has anyone made a pot using Ipe wood? Pots 2
BonsaiMobius Has Anyone Ever Tried Something Similar to This? General Discussion 29
Mike Corazzi Has anyone ever cobbled up an EFFECTIVE wind protection? General Discussion 12
bumblebee Has anyone grown a pecan tree for bonsai? General Discussion 11
Mike MoMo Has anyone tried Dynamite Organic Soil and fertilizer (incl water and repotting) 3
Brosmurf24 Has anyone worked with Duranta Erecta (Golden Dewdrop)? General Discussion 5
Ironbeaver Has anyone seen/used this? Soil and fertilizer (incl water and repotting) 6
Mike123 Has anyone tried to preserve a tree that didn't make it? General Discussion 19
steve27 Has anyone had any experience growing Desert Rose as Bonsai? Tropicals 9
Cadillactaste Buybonsaipot.com has anyone used that site? Vendor experiences 9
Vin Has Anyone Ever Seen or Heard of This Warning? General Discussion 20
pmalelis Has anyone on the forum successfully rooted JWP via cuttings? Pines 2
remist17 Has anyone use these maples for Bonsai material? Maples 14
Q Has anyone in the US been able to acquire one of Walter Pall's trees for sale? Collecting & importing 6
C Has anyone ever used Canadian Yew??? (Taxus canadensis) Other Conifers 10
5 Has anyone tried the insecticide called EIGHT Soil and fertilizer (incl water and repotting) 7
GrimLore Has anyone... General Discussion 6
treebeard55 Has anyone else tried this wacky idea? Soil and fertilizer (incl water and repotting) 4
coh Trumpet vine (campsis radicans) - has anyone collected one? Collecting & importing 5
M Has anyone worked with these Elms? Elms 4
edprocoat Has anyone noticed a shortage of Ficus? Tropicals 12
Alex DeRuiter Has anyone seen the movie The Fountain? General Discussion 6
L Has anyone tried this? Soil and fertilizer (incl water and repotting) 8
shohin kid Has anyone ever used Miracid? Soil and fertilizer (incl water and repotting) 1
T Has an anyone ever successfully layered an Oak? Other Deciduous 4
B Help! My bonsai is dying- I think it has a fungal infection?? General Discussion 4
B When you realize your practice tree has potential. Junipers 1
AndyJ How do I know my graft has taken? Grafting, layering & propagating 2
B A spider has spun a web on my sapling -- is this alright? New to Bonsai 4
Paul G Raise your hand if quarantine life has you checking your seeds every few hours. General Discussion 9
matcha_bonsai Mini japanese mountain has downward bud -- remove? Maples 18
F Does anybody know why my bonsai has lost its leaves? Elms 8
mattspiniken Who has worked with Potentilla Fruticosa? General Discussion 8