Has anyone tried root over stump/nursery log bonsai?

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In moist west coast/mountain coniferous forests, I have often come across spruce/fir/hemlock trees growing over the stumps and fallen logs of older trees. As the log or stump decays, it leaves behind the interesting and often stilt like roots supporting a tree which is now often fairly high off the ground.

While I have seen pictures of “strangler fig” focus and various tanuki grafts, I have not seen this image replicated in bonsai. I questioned this to my wife once who replied “because it would be ugly”. Anyone seen this image attempted in bonsai or have thoughts on it’s feasibility?

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are some images of what I mean:EC11FFD8-4D4E-4930-872B-8DBF9D5BC62F.jpega nursery log with young trees starting is above. The next few show a progression from young tree roots clambering down a stump to the stump being almost encased in exposed roots. I couldn’t find any good pictures without my kids in them, but I suppose they give a sense of scale.C0435638-EE83-4AFE-B8A8-8A1FD8A82F99.jpegC5C31AFF-1746-44C7-A845-EC4969DB853D.jpegF3D52ED6-ACBA-47A2-8B24-E24BF26D3D16.jpeg

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
You’d have to ensure the host tree is preserved really well. Making by soaking in resin?

I think it’s worth a shot. Seems like something I’d try.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you really want to do this may I recommend petrified wood (that is to say fossilised) instead of regular wood. The rate of rot in a bonsai pot due to water plus sunlight makes it unfeasible otherwise.
If you are in Canada I am sure you will be able to source some.

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I don’t have any pictures of it right now but you can get some fossilized wood unpolished that looks good for fairly cheap. I got a small one back in October and a local rock and gem show that I gave to my dad. (We go as a fun tradition) The bark look cool but the rings side was cut and polished. It only cost a dollar or two and was the size of a medium fist. But they had two for 10+ inches for $5.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So, sort of neagari, but you want it over a stump? Root over log, if you will. Or is the log not critical? Because your first description is neagari style - exposed aerial roots representing erosion.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, sort of neagari, but you want it over a stump? Root over log, if you will. Or is the log not critical? Because your first description is neagari style - exposed aerial roots representing erosion.
The difference here is in the process that creates the image. Neagari is generally representative if erosion. There is no erosion here, only the decay of the wood the tree started over. It would be interesting to see a progression over years of a group of seedlings on a log that ends in what looks like a neagari conifer grove.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don’t have any pictures of it right now but you can get some fossilized wood unpolished that looks good for fairly cheap. I got a small one back in October and a local rock and gem show that I gave to my dad. (We go as a fun tradition) The bark look cool but the rings side was cut and polished. It only cost a dollar or two and was the size of a medium fist. But they had two for 10+ inches for $5.
I actually have some fossilized wood I found hiking in the badlands here. Might be a good use for it

Bodie

Seed
Reaction score
I bought this Japanese maple growing over a log recently. I have to go back to the nursery tomorrow and ask them more about it.15793295398494841542774537886046.jpg15793295940344186743265747514545.jpg

Top Bottom