Has anyone tried this?

logan3

Yamadori
Reaction score
I was wandering if anyone has used ''Dry Stall'' instead of Truface. The feed store were I get my dog f ood has 40lb. bags for 9.95. Any info would help. Thanks,Pete

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think Dry Stall is better than Turface. Dry Stall is pumice, this is what you want. Soil mixes vary from place to place, but I don't thing you will go wrong using pumice in your soil mix. If I could get some I would be using it !

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use Dry Stall as pumice substitute in "Boon's Mix" which is pumice, lava, and akadama. Dry Stall needs to be sifted as has lots of dust. I had about 25% loss last time I sifted a batch. Wear a face mask when sifting. Good stuff and fairly cheap.

Frank

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I've used it, but it is much too white for my taste of how a bonsai soil shold look.

logan3

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thank's for the feedback. I'm going to make some bags up to take to my clubs meeting for the raffle table. 40lbs. of the stuff will last me for along time. Pete

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Thank's for the feedback. I'm going to make some bags up to take to my clubs meeting for the raffle table. 40lbs. of the stuff will last me for along time. Pete

You are new to this aren't you, keep twice what you think you will need, it goes fast as you add trees to your collection.;)

As to the color, use it for most of the pot, and top dress the soil with something that looks better.

logan3

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thanks again. That's a good idea about dressing up the top layer of soil BillS and yeah BillS after doing Bonsai for 11yrs. I still consider myself a beginer because I learn something new everyday.By the way Clyde if I brought home another tree my wife would shot me ha!ha! I counted them today and I have 49. Keeps me busy. Pete

mcpesq817

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use dry stall and turface as well. I don't sift the turface, but do sift the dry stall. There's a lot of dust and particles that I'm not sure would wash out. On the other hand, the turface fines seem to wash out very well.

Top Bottom