Has anyone used the supalite soil component the Kaizen touts? The results any good?

NamesakE

Mame
Reaction score
Looking to make my own mix, not necessarily for bonsai but not ruling it out either. : )

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Supalite? Kaizen Touts? Lost here. What are we talking about!?

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm also unfamiliar with this, but if it's just expanded clay like @Kadebe suggests I cut my costs digging shale nearby. Mix with components that mitigate its tendency to align and layer itself (decomposed granite for instance) and it holds moisture and resists compaction.

I often suggest people research the old ways of indigenous tribes here to problem solve their camping issues. Research your local geology to problem solve your soil issues.

NamesakE

Mame
Reaction score
Looking to make my own mix, not necessarily for bonsai but not ruling it out either. : )
Sorry should have read "that Kaizenbonsai lists as an ingredient for bonsai soil. It's a fired clay that is somewhat of a replacement for akadama

berzerkules

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tried that LECA stuff because it was cheap. If it was a smaller more uniform size I might have been able to justify using it but I wasn't a fan. Still have a big bag of the stuff laying around somewhere.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I've used it a few years ago. It's very much like LECA, very lightweight and very long-lasting. It's OK but I prefer Akadama/Pumice/Lava. The particle size means it's too big for small trees/pots, but it would work OK as a soil component in a big pot.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've used it before, it needs to be mixed with other ingredients, it can't be used straight. The smaller grains are so lightweight they can sometimes float which is annoying. I think you're better off sticking with the big 3, PAL or "Boon" mix.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
We use these specifically for orchids because they retain water well and they make it so we don't have to water as often. I hadn't considered using them for bonsai and don't plan on it but they work well for orchids. An expensive option though but we have over 150 orchids. We only use these on a few varieties.

Top Bottom