Has your favorite style of bonsai changed?

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Since I am new to bonsai I can remember easily what attracted me to it. At first I liked the lush miniature trees that looked like the trees in my front yard. But as I studied both bonsai and horticulture I have become a big fan of literati and cascade trees. With sparse foliage it is as if the tree is telling a life story of its struggles. I love the tree that looks like it was dug out of a cliff at the edge of a tree line on some mountain. I’m just curious if others have had changes in their bonsai choices.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I've been in the hobby many years, more than a couple decades. My taste in trees continually evolves, what I liked in the beginning may not get me as interested as a different style today. Cascades, initially were "it". Then I tried creating one and failed, actually failed quite a few times. Began to be able to see flaws and critique cascades, saw how few are done well. Today I prefer a naturalistic more or less upright design. But while no longer my favorite, I still appreciate a well done cascade because I see the technical skills required to do it well.

There's very few styles I dislike, some are more exciting than others, but even the often repeated styles will get my attention if particularly well done. And flamboyant styling, with extravagant dead wood is one that can appear to me to be too gaudy. Key is avoid "over the top" features. Harmony is key.

Saddler

Chumono
Reaction score
When I first started out, it was windswept all the way. Classic newb. Now I wonder why there is even such a style as so few trees can pull it off. I much prefer formal upright and broom styles, particularly a naturalistic oak. Thinking about this topic just now leads me to believe that my preference aligns with the trees I’m build the secondary branches on. Probably because I spend a lot of time looking at that style in pictures and nature to try to understand what looks good and what doesn’t. I’m curious to learn what my favourite style will be after I have tried producing all of the styles.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Leo, I’ve never been a huge fan of cascades, some semi-cascades are nice...

And the deadwood junipers have grown on me since I’ve been traveling to California. Deadwood on our trees here in Georgia just doesn’t happen. (Well, it does, it’s just not long lasting.)

But once I had an opportunity to hike up in the Sierras and witness first hand the incredible deadwood on those thousand year old trees... well, my perspective changed.

For those trees, “style” is completely different. No longer is it Upright, slant, informal, or any of those, no, the yamadori junipers often defy all the normal conventions. In my opinion, the focus for these trees should be to highlight the incredible deadwood that nature created, with the foliage acting as a frame to focus attention onto the deadwood. Oh sure, we still want to have balance and movement, but it’s the balance of the deadwood and the live vein(s) that I think should be highlighted.

All that said, my favorites still remain the pines! Lol!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I used to love deadwood on trunks, but the more I see it, the more I realize that's where design ends. As soon as a trunk gets a shari, there's a finish line in sight; design options go from 10.000 to 10. There's a new eye catcher, or the back becomes the front, or you'd need to glue bark. And from what I see, as soon as people create them, they usually lose interest in that tree within a few seasons. What happened to all those tattoo shows on TV? Those things are permanent, everybody got them. Laser clinics have never been more popular. Shari however, can't be lasered.

I get it with junipers, it's kind of how they look in nature. It just happens to them. It suits them.

But pines and spruce and deciduous, those are different stories. Sometimes it works, but most of the times carving and shari doesn't work well in my opinion. I can't help noticing a trend going on: carve the crap out of it, lose interest after 1 year, sell at the second year.

And a year or maybe two years from now, I might totally disagree with my current self. While writing this I'm not even sure if i still agree now. Fashion, trends, design and art, but especially people(!) can be like that. That's fine, as long as we don't lie about it.
Evolution goes one way and that's forward, but it's okay to look back, and say we're glad to be here and not still back there.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Yes, it has.

When I was a greenie, windswept (Fukinagashi) was my favourite.

Now, I don't have "a favourite style" of bonsaï. It's more a question of "personality" than a matter of "style".

It's a bit like schools in painting or music, or any other form of artistic expression: the same subject treated by two different artists, or craftsmen, or enthusiasts can be either rather boring, though matching the "rules", others will be outstanding.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder :D

stevek

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I can't say I have a favorite style or species for that matter. I don't go out looking to find something, something finds me when i'm at a nursery. then it tells me what it wants to be, and i'll try and help it get there. { deeeep huh}o_O. case in point, the tree I brought to our anniv. dinner last night, I did what I tell everyone not to...I didn't study it good and paid to much for what I saw the next day. but finally the tree and me decided after a couple of discussions where it wanted to go, and last night I had to keep my eye on it or my members pockets when they left. my 3 cents. sk.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Before I started and was just looking at them I hated cascades. Thought they were just the worst ever. Now I like them a lot.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I always loved cascades or semi cascades and exposed root. I don't like exposed root as much anymore but I'm always attempting cascade ficus. 7-10 years ago they were hard to come by but now several good examples can be found.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Adair M
Personal tastes evolves, until you stop learning. I haven't spent much time in the southwest, I can't breathe much over 10,000 ft elevation. I'll never get my fourteener card. I don't dislike deadwood in principle, I think my objection comes from so much badly done deadwood on nursery material. Local shows are still dominated by every conifers being loaded up with badly done man made deadwood. I get tired of seeing it. Done well, by man, or better by nature, it can be exquisite.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Before I started and was just looking at them I hated cascades. Thought they were just the worst ever. Now I like them a lot.
Opposite for me. My second or third tree was a cascade. Now I generally hate them and rarely see a good one.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Brian, could you tell us why you dislike them? I would value your input on this.
They’re difficult to keep healthy and balanced between the top and the bottom, they’re hard to water, transport, and keep on a bench. Additionally, they’re difficult to really pull off well. Beginners think it’s a quick easy Bonsai style. It isn’t. Do a quick search and you’ll see that the vast majority look like the first image, and very few like the second.
B2C2CD62-A448-4DC9-BFDB-9CAF67ABA007.jpegE71AE8F0-6A6A-4BD5-9462-C54C3C8E667A.jpeg

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They’re difficult to keep healthy and balanced between the top and the bottom, they’re hard to water, transport, and keep on a bench. Additionally, they’re difficult to really pull off well. Beginners think it’s a quick easy Bonsai style. It isn’t. Do a quick search and you’ll see that the vast majority look like the first image, and very few like the second.
View attachment 198721View attachment 198722
In my mind I was visualizing something like #2 and couldn’t figure out what there was not to like. Now I understand. Thanks for your input.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Weeping, windswept were my favs. Neagari confused me...
Learning windswept is rarely done to perfection. Not so much any more...as for weeping. I think when you constantly fight the characteristics of a tree. It's a lot of work...is it worth it? When another direction is possible .
Now,where Neagari confused me...its now my passion. Love them. I like the uniqueness each brings to the table.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I've always liked large, yamadori trees with massive trunks. With age and no more young sons at home to help with lifting. most of my newer acquisitions are shohin and medium size trees.

Silentrunning

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Weeping, windswept were my favs. Neagari confused me...
Learning windswept is rarely done to perfection. Not so much any more...as for weeping. I think when you constantly fight the characteristics of a tree. It's a lot of work...is it worth it? When another direction is possible .
Now,where Neagari confused me...its now my passion. Love them. I like the uniqueness each brings to the table.

I am intimidated by Neagri. I guess it is the old gardener in me that shutters at seeing roots exposed. Windswept looks so easy but I am finding out it is anything but easy. I have a Juniper that all but ordered me to make it into windswept. All the bones were there for it. Now that the tree is shaped I can’t figure out how to trim it. I have been staring at it for a month now and am no closer to a decision than before.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I think what initially drew me in was various styles of azalea bonsai, old big ones from Japan.

As for style, I remember liking windswept in the early days...I tried to make one with crap material....realized quickly that windswept may be the most difficult style to pull off convincingly....and if its not convincing, its total garbage looking...they either look convincing or contrived.

After 4 years....I think literati/bunjin style ia my favorite style, overall.
But I also love squatty sumo-like trees!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I still like and would have larger plants but since 2013 and the huge downsize in space I have slowly offed all large and opt for Shohin and Mame although many start larger it does not take long :p

Grimmy

Top Bottom