Have you ever collected Rocks?

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Have you ever collected rocks and if so what did you find ?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I am a self confessed rock collector. I have hundreds of different shapes and sizes lying all round. From beach pebbles through to granite slabs.

Will try to get some photos of more interesting ones.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Have you ever collected rocks and if so what did you find ?
Yes! All the time. Both for bonsai and as a rockhound.
Here's what I brought back from Montana last fall, that bucket is full of agate from the Yellowstone river. Another bucket full of jasper. The bigger uglies are full of augite crystals.

IMG_1928.JPG

I almost always bring a trailer with me on vacation so I can collect as much as I want. Brought back over a ton of rocks once. The worst time was when we we went backpacking. My pack just kept getting heavier! My pack weighed 70lb at the end of the trip and I think I about died on that last mile.
I haven't made any displays out of mine.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Yes! All the time. Both for bonsai and as a rockhound.
Here's what I brought back from Montana last fall, that bucket is full of agate from the Yellowstone river. Another bucket full of jasper. The bigger uglies are full of augite crystals.

View attachment 348017

I almost always bring a trailer with me on vacation so I can collect as much as I want. Brought back over a ton of rocks once. The worst time was when we we went backpacking. My pack just kept getting heavier! My pack weighed 70lb at the end of the trip and I think I about died on that last mile.
I haven't made any displays out of mine.
So you recommend to look around lakes ?

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Lakes are good, streams are better. Also cuts where roads go through a hill, or any place that has been dug up.
Thanks ! NJ has tons of rivers , streams , ponds , and hopefully I find some

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
youd be surprised w the quality of stone around where i live. because we have big wave beaches, yet more rocky than say a cali or southern east coast beach, these waves have shaped rocks up to cobblestone size to smooth over. granite. quartz. etc.

memories singed in my mind. fall session, wolf (looking) spiders in the fall, walking the cobbles barefoot to the waters edge and a large spiders scattering w every step, they reproduce or live in the rocks in the fall. i do collect a lot of the rocks over the 20 years surfing, maybe ill try to post some in here later.

i also have a piece of large quartz (15 lb) thats pretty cool. they are like iceburgs on some of the hiking trails out here.

lugged that badboy out of a 3 mile hike by hands

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks ! NJ has tons of rivers , streams , ponds , and hopefully I find some
Get some collecting bags, those reusable cloth shopping bags are perfect. Carry one around all the time, tie one to you bike, throw one in the back of each of your parents' cars. Then pick up every neat rock you see. You will get lots of cool rocks and the rejects still make good landscape rocks.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Here's the first one I made a daiza for:
IMGP1915.JPG
It is petrified wood collected on the side of a road in Queensland

Next is Ironstone with 2 faces so I made 2 daiza to show it.

Vertical orientation:
IMGP1912.JPG

Leaning:
IMGP1913.JPG

Some others I have picked up over years
IMGP1914.JPG
IMGP1880.JPG
IMGP1882.JPG
IMGP1883.JPG
IMGP1884.JPG
IMGP1885.JPG
IMGP1890.JPG

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
our rocks, follow up, the granite state. we have Pink granite here thats notable:

i have a white quartz spearhead from my grandma, from pre America NAs.
theyre common here, no metal detector for our artifacts. stones, wooden battle clubs leaning against trees.
theres are metal (silver) colony coins here, called Pine shilling and Oak tree shilling, thought i had one from same grandma, worth roughly $20k. was a cast though. the coins im referring to are some of most rare in America.

heres some beachfront i get, stones i collect. 10 mins from my house where i surf. (the dream, worked hard for it)
little compton Rhode Island and south east MA, horseneck beach
btw, i was one of those who walked by the 13' great white and surfed. double edge sword, decomposing oils, 20' sharks in lineup :)

last shot is my old buddy Dan, the spot where a wolf spider is every 6" on the entire beach in the fall
Large__MG_1968.jpgLC-might-have-little-waves-but-the-sharks-are-big.jpg
LittleCompton-slide1-scaled.jpg300s.jpgIMG_65240849545967.jpeg

Top Bottom