Have you ever collected Rocks?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have one or a few around here and there. Not really a formal collection mounted on wood bases or anything but if I see and interesting rock, I put it on the bench among the trees.

Then there is this one that became an art project

RockPainting.jpg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I go “rockin” quite often.... I don’t have any pictures on my phone right now.. but I have posted a couple... I go “slab hunting” more than anything..

The rocks’ texture, shape, compositions and sizes vary greatly in varying “locales” due to different... exposure..

Lake Stones (From great lakes)are great.. but important to find a good “spot”.... most “hard spun” lake stones are all very smooth... variations to this “spinning“ happen as the current changes around the corresponding land formations... Now in INLAND lakes... there is much less current (sometimes) so you are more likely to find interesting edges, depressions and textures...

I like inlets where inland rivers flow to large bodies... there is MOST “variety” to be had there...

Also.. River/stream/creek rocks are tricksters with disguises... pay closer attention and be more thorough when hunting these areas.

🤓

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
My pack weighed 70lb at the end of the trip and I think I about died on that last mile.
Lol that's why my sister calls most rocks "Leaverite." As in, "Leave 'er right there."
Nearly all of my collected rocks have come from collections others have made. I have rocks from my ex-husband's great aunt's rock garden on a Kansas farmstead, rocks that were part of a rock garden here at my house when I bought it, and rocks that my grandmother found in New Mexico as she was walking around waiting for my grandfather to change a tire. She found several various chunks of petrified wood in a rusted out cake pan, under the roadside brush.

Top Bottom