Have you made "What If" plans

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I was reading another thread (link below) and it caused me to wonder what others are doing in the way of planning for on going care of our trees.

http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?9763-Inherited-Plants

I have realized I have not made adequate plans for my trees which, while mostly not high quality now and may never be, are important to me. I have told my wife should something happen to me and at age 70 it could, she should immediately call my friend BVF and follow his instructions exactly. I have even told her to ask Brian to place the trees with others for her and if in his opinion they are not worth saving to dispose of them.

Not only do we have to think about our trees but we have a lot of money invested in our tools, pots and other assets.

My question is what have others done in this area?

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Shouldn't your bonsai collection/tools/pots be in your will? I don't know why they'd be treated differently than any other asset.

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Shouldn't your bonsai collection/tools/pots be in your will? I don't know why they'd be treated differently than any other asset.

Maybe so. However, in my case there is nobody who is interested and this is why I have told my wife to seek help from a trusted friend who knows bonsai. My main concern is ongoing care of the trees and that cannot wait.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am new so no plans yet. I did ask my 9 yo daughter if she would be interested and she told me probably choose 1 or 2 to keep. I know my son will be more than willing to sell and liquidate all my stuff LOL.

As to care...we are members of the local bonsai club and though it might change, the current members are awesome in helping/supporting other members. Even shuttle (pick up and drop off) those who want to attend meeting but can no longer drive.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
My trees and pots are insured, photographed and with purchase price. They are in my will, and a few people have access and instructions in the event the need arises.

The critical issues (to me) are continuity of care immediately, then having the documentation so those sorting through and/or selling have an idea of value and provenance.

Ron Dennis

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
My trees and pots are insured, photographed and with purchase price. They are in my will, and a few people have access and instructions in the event the need arises.

The critical issues (to me) are continuity of care immediately, then having the documentation so those sorting through and/or selling have an idea of value and provenance.

I had not realized insurance was available. Will be on the phone in the morning with my agent.

I like the Bonsai Album app because you can have a guick and easy reference at hand with all the details. I agree with the will. I have not specified but do have any and all assets going to my wife. That said she would have no idea as to proper care.

Here's hoping that when the time is here I will have trees worthy of concern.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I buy awful bonsai material just so this is unlikely to ever be a concern. And I am doing my best to kill them all so it's even less of a worry.

coppice

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-A
I had the strong feeling this morning when I ran into the originator of this thread, that I wouldn't be the only person squirming in my chair.

I've started grooming the son-in-law, but no If I died tomorrow most (if not all) of my little grove would be screwed.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I buy awful bonsai material just so this is unlikely to ever be a concern. And I am doing my best to kill them all so it's even less of a worry.

ROFLMAO. I think you have the best solution so far! ;)

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
My wife of 54 years knows what do do about them.

bonsaibp

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I can't tell you how many times I've been called to look at Dad's, Granddads etc collection after they died and had to tell the families that there was little value other then pots, because no one made arrangements and no one know how to care for the trees. I can't count the number of times I've been called to look at a collection that has only been watered and not turned , pruned etc for a year or two or three.
Families feel bed because they ruined the trees or because 40 years of grandpa work is worth little more then the price of the pots because they didn't know how to care for them.
It really should be something each of us take care of. Families have enough to deal with when someone becomes sick or dies don't put this on them as well.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love your title "What if" , Correct me if I'm wrong but I think its more "When"

More to the point, After my wife spreads my ashes among the trees, she know who to call to get them. No one in my family has any interest in perpetuating my vice.

Last edited:

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I have no such plans for my own trees yet. It definitely seems like a good idea, for all the reasons mentioned above. At 39, I have only made the most basic post-death arrangements.

I can tell that my dad is happy that I've taken up the 'hobby'. When he realized that I was really into it (maybe 3 or 4 years ago), it totally re-energized his own interest. He started making regular visits to nurseries, buying nice material & pots for himself (& me more than a few times :) ) , applying newfound energy & creativity to his old trees, etc.

Reading about the collections of trees that lose their masters and die or fade away makes me think of Tibetan Buddhist Sand Paintings.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score

Who is your insurance company and what kind of policy is it? What all does it cover? Theft, death of tree/pot, natural disasters, dogs?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
State Farm homeowners, and due to hurricane damage, I've had to make two claims over the years. no problems, but it probably wouldn't cover dogs or dead trees. The trees are on an itemization, and those in pots were covered at replacement value, material in the ground was not, as it was considered shrubbery.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
State Farm homeowners, and due to hurricane damage, I've had to make two claims over the years. no problems, but it probably wouldn't cover dogs or dead trees. The trees are on an itemization, and those in pots were covered at replacement value, material in the ground was not, as it was considered shrubbery.

I asked my statefarm agent like 6 months ago and he laughed at me. How did you substantiate the value of the trees? Did you say purchase price?

gergwebber

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just hope I can get someone to use me as fertilizer...

whooooo... waaaaants to live foreverrrrrr!?

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I seriously told my wife to contact the president of the local club at my death to come over to auction them off for the local clubs benifet. It's more for me they they keep living than a profit at my death. Told my wife to ask a price for all, but if they walk away beg them to take them all.

Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When my wife kills me it will be with either one of my trees or my Bonsai tools, they will probably be disposed of with my body...

ed

Top Bottom