Have you made your own soil?

Paul F.

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11b
I've never used sand in my pre-bonsai trees. Is it something I should use in my mix?
Hey @Paul F.
I had no idea this would be a problem having been around many huge FL commercial loblolly pine stands/forests, but I just realized that those are primarily in the north above that freeze line.

One thing to consider is having no organics whatsoever. This was tough for me to do, I wanted to hang on tight to organics because not using them seemed just wrong. However, I have been going that direction since my original post in this thread, due to the thread created by Source : Napa Oil Dry part no. 8822.

That is a big and controversial thread. I suppose anytime soil is the topic, it will be controversial. While there is a tremendous wealth of information there from many many knowledgeable folks, posts from @source and @M. Frary are ones that stick out as ones providing convincing evidence that gave me the stones to ditch a reliance on pine bark in my mix(es). They also provide good reasons for not using pine bark due to later root damage in repotting etc.

So...I may end up going completely to a mix of lava & #8822. I have gone crazy experimenting with 100% #8822, even successfully with cuttings, potted veg., and houseplants..ex: green onions, ficus, christmas cactus. All of the trees I recently collected are in 100%. Whew.. Lastly, a big plus for me is that when I get that lava/8822 just right for my zone and make a big batch of it, I may not have to buy soil again for a decade (dream big right!?..HA).

Paul, it does look like you got ~4 napa stores around the keys. I would consider ditching the pine idea. Also, while I have studied this affordable/realistic-for-me soil topic for a spell, I am very new to bonsai, and everything I do is an experiment, regardless of being based on informed decisions. Hope this helps

Right now I use a mix of Turface, (I have tons of NAPA #8822 which I use A LOT if I cant get the Turface. It's whats readily available to me here where I live more than any other ingredient), SeaChem Flourite which I get from chewy.com, I get two 15lb bags for like 30 bucks shipped and there is almost no fines in it. Its awesome but its a pain in the ass to clean, Granite (chicken scratch when I can get it, Perlite and Pine Bark fines which I sift out from Miracle Grow Potting mix. I mean I don't have to use the Pine Bark fines but I like it or I at least want to have the option to use it or not. One of my clients brings me Turface when he is coming down to the Keys from mid-Florida since I cant find it here. I make him buy like 4 bags! It's cheap enough. I can't find lava or Pumice where I live either which I would LOVE. Although a new bonsai shop opened up in Key West about an hour from where I live and he said he would have those ingredients for sale soon - very excited about that. I am too, very new to Bonsai. I mostly grow trees from seed, which I enjoy immensely. I had over 200 trees growing before Hurricane Irma destroyed everything but I'm starting again once my fence goes back up so I have protection from the iguanas. Im going to try and collect wild buttonwoods this year I think and want to really get into the bonsai aspect. I'm also trying to learn how to grow trees from cuttings which I always failed miserably.

Thanks for all the info! I appreciate it!

RobertB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've found a better alternative to silica sand is swimming pool filter sand--specifically Mystic White which is crushed quartz. More uniform grain size (it's already sifted), a little larger that any builders' sand. Vance Wood told me about this stuff a long time ago.

Thank you for this tip.

You can find it if you look, WalMart sometimes stocks it. I used to find it at the local above ground pool supplier
https://shopcaribbeanpools.com/product/sand-mystic-white-50-bag/

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I struggled with soil substitutes also, until I found reliable sources of lava, pumice, and akadama. There's no substitute for the best ingredients.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This thread (and most of the other "passionate soil debate" threads) is particularly useful for me. I've brought a whole bunch of bags of many of the things I've read about here into the garage and I'll be mixing things up for the planting and repottings to come.

This is lots of fun! Thank you!

Top Bottom