Have you named your tree and why?

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Rupert's elm!
Ulmus rupertii !!!

No proper names for my trees. I barely name pets . . .

Had an Azalea, and only one so named her "Azy"
. . . all those iguanas named Iggy :confused: Some things are the same across multiple hobbies.

I once had a school of about twelve fish, one of which was named Ralph by a visitor to my home. Since they all looked identical, which one was "Ralph" varied from moment to moment.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I named my carmona "The beast" when she was in troubles... some local forum mate named my scots pine "Junior" and I accepted a name "Faller" for my pistacia. Thank sorce.

Last edited:

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have one tree, out of my hundreds of trees, that we refer to by name. It is my oldest boxwood - one I had from when I did bonsai the first time, in the 1980s and 1990s. When we pruned it down to a single leaf set (one big leaf and two little nubs), my girls dubbed it "Meelo" after a character in the Avatar series who has a scene in which he tells someone to "be the leaf". We have another that I wouldn't say is named, per se, but we call it the Wawona Tree because that's what it looks like.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have one tree, out of my hundreds of trees, that we refer to by name. It is my oldest boxwood - one I had from when I did bonsai the first time, in the 1980s and 1990s. When we pruned it down to a single leaf set (one big leaf and two little nubs), my girls dubbed it "Meelo" after a character in the Avatar series who has a scene in which he tells someone to "be the leaf". We have another that I wouldn't say is named, per se, but we call it the Wawona Tree because that's what it looks like.
I think boxwood from 1980's deserves to be shared!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All the trees I have are listed by where they came from. Like Ed Clark maple no 1 or Ed Clark maple no. 61.

Problem is, I have no idea which maple that is. So the maples on my computer are in a maple master file and then a file by name for a certain tree. I have no idea which maple Ed Clark no 4 is when I update a particular tree. No 4 happens to be called "realville". I know which tree realville is.

a53.JPG

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I never named one. But inspired by this thread, my first tree will be dubbed "insanity' because it led me to this crazy addiction to twigs in small pots. That or strangler, cuz it is one and cuz since then the "hobby" has been strangling my wallet.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have a couple with nicknames.

Giving a tree a formal name is a big deal in Japanese bonsai tradition. Nicknames is not a big deal

None of mine have formal names.

Here is "The Hatchling":

image.jpeg

It got its name because I'm hollowing out the inside of the trunk. Boon has a big JBP with a hollow trunk named "Godzilla". I thought of "Son of Godzilla", but this one isn't good enough yet, and is still in development so "Hatchling" kinda works.

This next tree has two nicknames: "Little Brother" or "Mini Me":

image.jpeg

These nickname refer to a similiar tree that is owned by John Kirby. It's three times as big. It's known as "Big Brother"!

And there's my "Peter Tea" tree.

image.jpeg

When I bought it, it had recently been wired by Peter Tea. And I bought it without a pot. I potted it into that pot, which I had by coincidence bought from Peter! So, Peter Tea tree fit. I have since restyled it, and it's going into a different pot this spring.

And finally:

image.jpeg

The "Pink Dragon".

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is "Peterbuilt" my Father in-law is a car hauler, he picked it up for me states away and thought he was coming to me and got dispatched for other loads further away. He ended up having to care for it for weeks in his truck.
It is a Youpon.image.jpeg

jomawa

Shohin
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone named their trees and why.
Well, I've just acquired a beech so am calling it "son of a beech" due to it's smaller size. Some friends had it growiing in their yard and wanted to drive through the area of this beech. So I dug it up, flattened the bottom of the roots, screwed the beech to a board, planted in colander, and named it "son of a beech".
DSCN2736.JPG DSCN2741.JPG DSCN2748.JPG

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I kind of follow what most of you have done. I apply a name that helps me remember details about the tree. The first here is the tree I call the Drunken Dragon. This is partly an attempt to mock those who are so taken with themselves that they give their trees these wonderful and memorable titles.

DSC_3017 copy.JPG

This is probably the first tree I ever tossed a name at. I called it the Pig and though it has change a lot over the years and is still in the process the reason for the title has not changed. It is more a joke than a boast.

IMG_2091_11Show_VWood_Mugo copy 2.jpg

I recently decide that the proper name for this tree was the angry bird, named by one of the Nutters when it looked like this. Though it has changed drastically since the naming ceremony I love the sarcastic and memorable nature of The Angry Bird and plan on keeping it.
Mug800pxlfin copy.jpg

Top Bottom