Have you seen a Dawn Redwood sprout from seed?

BrierPatch

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the progression updates! They look to be growing very well, fast growing. I didn't go the seed route, I ordered some saplings which should be delivered some time in Dec. I may order some seeds after seeing yours for this spring to give it a try.

cornfed

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for the progression updates! They look to be growing very well, fast growing. I didn't go the seed route, I ordered some saplings which should be delivered some time in Dec. I may order some seeds after seeing yours for this spring to give it a try.
If you do, follow the beginning of this thread and don't bury them too deep and watch out for damp off!

Reaction score
I just felt like updating!

I have seven of what I would call "pretty good seedlings" that are working on their second and third sets of leaves.

And I have four sickly looking ones. They're having a hard time working out those second sets of leaves and have some brown tips on the first.

And I have some volunteers that came from helicopter seeds. They had landed in my various containers in the yard and started growing, so I gently moved them to the recently vacant pots of my seed tray. Some sort of Maple maybe? I have four of them.

And just yesterday I started to notice all these little guys growing in all of my containers. The seeds have just been "raining" out of my tall birch trees just to the west of my containers, so I assume these will be paper birch. Again, I just gently moved them from my various containers to this tray. There were a ton of them, so I put 5 to a pod for now. I have about 15 of those.

Hi there, I also have a Dawn Redwood seedling that has brown on the tip of its leaves. Did yours survive?
E6ABD46D-4FAB-4F01-BAA1-4159E3DC5B2B.jpegF8CF8D11-6038-417F-975B-D88D315E5E7F.jpeg

cornfed

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hi there, I also have a Dawn Redwood seedling that has brown on the tip of its leaves. Did yours survive?
View attachment 418888View attachment 418889
Not all of them survived. About half (12) dozen did though. I have some photos in this thread where I up potted them.

Are they going to wake up when the spring comes? I am eagerly waiting to see!

Reaction score
Not all of them survived. About half (12) dozen did though. I have some photos in this thread where I up potted them.

Are they going to wake up when the spring comes? I am eagerly waiting to see!
No, its my first time growing dawn redwood but I’ve successfully grown giant Sequoia from seed.
this is a picture at 1 year. 090548D7-503E-411B-85A9-987A4D83D637.png2BCC4C1B-7905-48DD-AB55-BCE265671FC7.png

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nine of them made it through the first year! No winter fatalities.

I think I'll just let them keep going in these one gallon pots this year. Maybe go up a pot size on a few of them.

Ultimately, hopefully looking at a forest.

View attachment 436432

View attachment 436433

Your trees, do what you like :)

My trees: I'd up pot them to at least 3 gallon but not fill full depth...I'd try to keep to ~5" depth. I'd comb and trim the roots to fit in that depth...it shouldn't take much moving from one gallon pots.

Why? 2 reasons.

1) When in the smaller pots, the tendency is to pack them tighter together. That stunts the lower branches which you want to keep to build taper and fuel overall growth. Wider and shallower also allows the roots to fan out and help flare the bottom...easier when you want to get into a shallower pot later as well ;)

2) I've had dawn redwoods top 3 feet after the second season. Give them the room to run wild and you can expect this:

Constrain them and you get less.

If you're serious about a forest, may hedge your bets? Take a couple and up-pot with the intent of making a few larger trunks? I'm not too fussy on when I repot these myself. I've literally done it all times of year...sometimes multiple repots in a year! If you're up-potting, you can probably almost slip pot them...maybe comb the bottom to get down to ~5" and gently tease out some of the sides to break up any circling and to help them find their way into the fresh soil easier. Easy-peasy ;)

Don't listen to me if you're at all worried about your trees...I don't play be the rules sometimes ;) I'm just stating what I have done in the past with a link to my results.

I shudder every time I see these tall gangly several years dawn redwoods, though. Let them run! Vigorously growing dawn redwoods should be very bushy :D

cornfed

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
My trees: I'd up pot them to at least 3 gallon but not fill full depth...I'd try to keep to ~5" depth. I'd comb and trim the roots to fit in that depth...it shouldn't take much moving from one gallon pots.

Why? 2 reasons.

1) When in the smaller pots, the tendency is to pack them tighter together. That stunts the lower branches which you want to keep to build taper and fuel overall growth. Wider and shallower also allows the roots to fan out and help flare the bottom...easier when you want to get into a shallower pot later as well ;)

2) I've had dawn redwoods top 3 feet after the second season. Give them the room to run wild and you can expect this:

Thanks for the input. I think it's good advice. I was worried it was too late to repot them with all the leaves out.

Top Bottom