Have you seen a Desmodium unifoliatum for sale anywhere in the US?

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Contact the good people at Mai Vang Nursery, near Sarasota Florida. The owners are from Vietnam, and come to mind as being a good possible source for Desmodium unifoliatum, if they don't have it, they would likely know how to get it.

They are also a good source for Ochna species and a number of edible fruit and vegetables from Vietnam.

Maybe it’s just me, maybe it’s just covid, but I tried a bunch of times to go to mai vang as they’re just as close as Wigart’s but I can’t catch them actually open. When I am in the area I drive by the gates a closed. When I called and made appointments they broke them multiple times. I guess I should try again if they’re that good. I will second Wigart’s though for sure!

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Got some in 4 inch pots from Wigert's today. Very healthy and I am glad I bought the smaller ones so I can twist and turn them more as shown on video from Wigert's. Man have these things got thorns.

lol...I ordered a couple from Wigerts as well!

I'm sure they monitor this forum, but I find it humorous to think about them wondering "What the heck? We sold 2 of these things in the past 5 years and now we've sold 53 in the past 2 weeks?!?" ;)

Since so many on this thread have admitted to purchases, maybe a competition is in order??

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Got my tree today. I'm happy with it! Packed well; thankfully, since the FedEx dude left it lying on it's side.

View attachment 328616View attachment 328615View attachment 328613View attachment 328614

And yeah, those thorns are NO JOKE! They're coming off tomorrow.

I'll probably leave it in the soil it's in now for the winter since I had a track record of poor watering last winter and then repot in the spring.

Those aren't thorns! Those are spears!!

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
lol...I ordered a couple from Wigerts as well!

I'm sure they monitor this forum, but I find it humorous to think about them wondering "What the heck? We sold 2 of these things in the past 5 years and now we've sold 53 in the past 2 weeks?!?" ;)

Since so many on this thread have admitted to purchases, maybe a competition is in order??

I think they should send me a check since I started this trend lol. Sadly my desmodium died over last winter but I got a couple diff ones now.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think they should send me a check since I started this trend lol. Sadly my desmodium died over last winter but I got a couple diff ones now.

I don't know where to look, but I'd guess they are supporters of this forum? I often see advertisements from them when I'm on the form. That may be indirect, however.

I'd guess that their payment to you is in the form of some amount of dollar...direct or indirect...to keep this site operational :)

zanduh

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I do wish there was a bit of a stop gap between their cheap 8 inch material and their 2000 dollar finished bonsai but my guess is I’d have to fly down there to see that kind of stock

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Maybe it’s just me, maybe it’s just covid, but I tried a bunch of times to go to mai vang as they’re just as close as Wigart’s but I can’t catch them actually open. When I am in the area I drive by the gates a closed. When I called and made appointments they broke them multiple times. I guess I should try again if they’re that good. I will second Wigart’s though for sure!

It was 2017 when I was there last. It was clearly family run, and the only one that seemed fluent in english was in his early 20's. I won't make excuses, but likely what has happened is they have a hard time getting someone there who speaks english fluently. I would keep trying, if you happen to be in the area, especially if you are looking for Ochna integerrima, or are after fruiting trees. But for most bonsai, do head over to Wigerts. Wigerts are good about keeping regular hours.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I do wish there was a bit of a stop gap between their cheap 8 inch material and their 2000 dollar finished bonsai but my guess is I’d have to fly down there to see that kind of stock
They have more than what they post on their website. Email them, if you are looking for something specific. Andrea there is very helpful and will even send pictures.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I ordered 4 x 4" pots. They arrived today!

20200917_110752.jpg

Really great deal for the price! Including shipping, these guys come in at ~$12 each. My local nurseries typically sell 3" pots of "pre-bonsai" material like this for $17-$24 dollars. I'm pretty happy with the size and quality of these plants for the money :)

...and they even through in some bonus seeds!

20200917_110758.jpg

o_O

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I need to get one in the spring. Too late for me to get now when the trops will have to come in soon. No more room in the inn.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I need to get one in the spring. Too late for me to get now when the trops will have to come in soon. No more room in the inn.

So, is that the trick then? Get new trees in the spring while they can live outside then you just have to make space for them inside come fall ;)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My husband would disagree. He gets really cranky when the trees have to come in. Plus, I may have another Barbados cherry shipped to me on Monday. ;)
The last box I got from Wigert's had 7 trees in it. Two in 8 inch pots, a ficus and a dwarf schef and five 4"desmodium. My wife eyeballed the box but said nothing. I told her I was splitting the box with my best friend Richard. Well he got his one 4" pot. I wasn't lying. I have to be creative. 😉

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The last box I got from Wigert's had 7 trees in it. Two in 8 inch pots, a ficus and a dwarf schef and five 4"desmodium. My wife eyeballed the box but said nothing. I told her I was splitting the box with my best friend Richard. Well he got his one 4" pot. I wasn't lying. I have to be creative. 😉

My wife just puts up with it.

I tease her that every time she buys a new pair of shoes, I get a tree! She's a serious runner. > 2000 miles per year. Her shoes last her about 300 miles before her knees start to get sore. That's good for 7 trees a year! Not my fault trees live for longer than 300 miles ;)

...and seeds don't count. She brings some to me from interesting trees she sees while out running...especially if we're traveling.

Top Bottom