Have you seen a Desmodium unifoliatum for sale anywhere in the US?

BonsaiGrove

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think they should send me a check since I started this trend lol. Sadly my desmodium died over last winter but I got a couple diff ones now.
If you don’t mind me asking, why do you think it died? How do you overwinter it?

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
If you don’t mind me asking, why do you think it died? How do you overwinter it?
I think I didn’t water enough, me being a noob thinking that since it was inside under grow light it didn’t need watering that much, I was watering it once a week and didn’t even do it correctly.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know these are tropicals, but does anyone have experience with their minimum temperature tolerance?

BonsaiGrove

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think I didn’t water enough, me being a noob thinking that since it was inside under grow light it didn’t need watering that much, I was watering it once a week and didn’t even do it correctly.
Ah I see. Easy to do. I have quantum board LEDs in grow tents and the temps get up to the low 80s when the lights are on.... if I don’t water within 2 hours of the lights turning on some of my trees start to droop. It’s ridiculous. I water every day during winter which is super tedious but I’ve just accepted my fate lol

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
lol...I broke one of mine already! And I've only had them since September!

Can you see the new growth? Is it obvious enough?

20201028_171743.jpg

Yep...that top left branch brand is new since I received these. Those are 3" spikes! Even the spikes have spikes!

20201028_172000.jpg

The others I ordered seem to have a more sane growth pattern so far.

20201028_172138.jpg

All of them are under lights in a southeast facing window. The one with the huge spikes is the only one that has not been repotted out of the nursery soil yet. I had offered one to my daughter when I ordered them and she, of course, chose that one :D She just hasn't gotten around to repotting it yet...or taking over its care. It's conveniently sitting right next to the others so I just watch over it for now.

Oh, and didn't realize these were close cousins to the weeds whose seeds get tangled up in my socks every time I walk in the woods and that have to be picked out one by one because they grip so tight they don't wash out. Don't tell me wife!

Attachments

• 20201028_171743.jpg
    20201028_171743.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20201028_172138.jpg
    20201028_172138.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20201028_172000.jpg
    20201028_172000.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 19

CasAH

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Oh, and didn't realize these were close cousins to the weeds whose seeds get tangled up in my socks every time I walk in the woods and that have to be picked out one by one because they grip so tight they don't wash out. Don't tell me wife!
Dry them on hot the seeds fall off much easier that way.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
OK, come clean Carol. What else is in that box you are expecting?
Hee, hee, maybe a couple of other things. Trying to be economical and get the most for the cost of shipping. ;)

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I do the same thing. And you don't want those little plants to get lonely.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I know these are tropicals, but does anyone have experience with their minimum temperature tolerance?
So...we had a crazy freeze around Christmas and my heated greenhouse got down below freezing for a few hours, most of my tiger bark ficus got lots of damage but the desmodiums seemed to be ok, they are a lot tougher than I thought.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow, @vp999 did you get a check from Wigert for promoting this tree?
Looks like many have bought in... time to share the current pics of it. They grow fast and this thread have been started a few years ago. Should be interesting...

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thanks for reminding me...Gonna have my lawyer contacting them Monday lol. Funny because I made this post when I first started in the hobby and now I have several nice ones, more and more are available now. The tree I bought in this thread died that year, I kept it inside and the heat dried it out. It was a nice tree too .

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for reminding me...Gonna have my lawyer contacting them Monday lol. Funny because I made this post when I first started in the hobby and now I have several nice ones, more and more are available now. The tree I bought in this thread died that year, I kept it inside and the heat dried it out. It was a nice tree too .
Yeah that is a very nice one. Trees don't grow indoors.

Top Bottom