HAVE YOU, wanted to try Cali-Dama?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you've used it, can someone describe how it performs?

Thank you, kindly.

B

Still not akadama, but 100 times better than kitty litter or turface. I would say on par with haydite.

berobinson82

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Still not akadama, but 100 times better than kitty litter or turface. I would say on par with haydite.

Thanks, sir. What place would it have if one was using akadama, pumice and lava? Admittedly, my akadama percentage is low due to location and a mortgage.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for posting it, I can't tell from the ebay listing how much the offer is for. Odd. But large flat rate box, is that more or less than a bag of Akadama?
As long as I can get my hands on Akadama, I'm never looking back, but if it becomes scarce....

I didn't like haydite all that much btw... My leaf health/tree growth rate is so much better in APL.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've ordered a box now.. I can't wait to sink my roots into it.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Seems a bit pricy for something that's not imported.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Price is basically what people charge for large flat rate boxes of pumice, lava, etc. And I believe those boxes hold about 3 gallons (maybe 3.5).

I wouldn't pay that much for something that I've never used or known of being used (outside of a few in California). If he was offering an "introductory price" I might give it a try but I can get akadama much cheaper than that locally, for now at least.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
For this kind of price you've got 3.5 gallons of 1/4th" lava rocks, and for more than 10$ less 3.5 gal of pumice or bonsai block at bonsaijack.com

And the shipping is included there too.

However we can't see the volume on the e-bay posting...

dick benbow

Omono
Reaction score
the value i saw in it, was it's weight. I had several heavy cascades, and it's weight stabilized the cascade pots so they didn't have a tendency to tip. Trees were cedars and had fairly large bases. trees did all right in it as a medium.

evmibo

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
For this kind of price you've got 3.5 gallons of 1/4th" lava rocks, and for more than 10$ less 3.5 gal of pumice or bonsai block at bonsaijack.com

And the shipping is included there too.

However we can't see the volume on the e-bay posting...

Fwiw..

Large flat rate box (inside) dimensions are 12" x 12" x 5.5" = 3.428 Gallons.. I'm assuming they will pack that pretty tight... Furthermore, the size of particles seem to be pretty inconsistent. A dime has 0.705" diameter, so from the looks you'll have a couple 3/4" pieces at the largest end of the spectrum and probably some smaller 3/16" particles.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I do think it's great that someone is working a substitute for Akadama. One day it will end and then we will all be glad for it. I'm sure that costs to do this as a small operation are pretty stiff, so it is understandable that it's not going to be cheap.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wonder how this stuff compares to the Bonsai Block that BonsaiJack.com sells. The block is supposed to be calcined clay like turface but larger particle size. Is it safe to assume that Calidama is fired to a lower temperature? Maybe just flash fired like akadama.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I need to correct my original post. The typical prices I've seen for large flat rate boxes of pumice are more like $28 or $29 (see Wee Tree for example), NOT $38. So yes, this stuff is very expensive. I can buy a 14 L bag of akadama (a little under 4 gal) locally for about $30. So yes, if someday I can no longer get reasonably priced akadama, then I would consider trying something like calidama. Not now, though.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Fwiw..

Large flat rate box (inside) dimensions are 12" x 12" x 5.5" = 3.428 Gallons.. I'm assuming they will pack that pretty tight... Furthermore, the size of particles seem to be pretty inconsistent. A dime has 0.705" diameter, so from the looks you'll have a couple 3/4" pieces at the largest end of the spectrum and probably some smaller 3/16" particles.

FWIW?...what does that mean?

Otherwise what you say regarding the particle's sizes is referring to bonsaijack or the e-bay announcement?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FWIW = for what it's worth

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
There were people selling akadama 14L bags at the REBS show for $28, and Darren Wong (azalea importer and seller) was selling Clay King pre-mixed Japanese soil which is pretty much straight out of the bag perfect for $39 per 14L bag. Both products are imported and proven great for growing bonsai.

Top Bottom