Hawaii version of akadama

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey gang, just thought i'd share what most members in our club uses for soil.

Soil is gathered from somewhere on the island (i haven't been shown where yet)

This first pic is unsifted.

hsoil2.jpg

First I screen out the big stuff, roots & other stuff included.

hsoil4.jpg

Then I screen out the (all screen sizes approximate) 1/2 in size.

hsoil5.jpg

Next is the 1/6 size.

hsoil6.jpg

& finally the 1/4 size.

hsoil7.jpg

Shot of all 3 sizes in buckets. The big ones can always be crushed to a smaller size or used as drainage layer (if you use a drainage layer)

hsoil9.jpg

This is black cinder that we get already screened from a guy on the big island (1/6-1/4 size)

hsoil8.jpg

Here is a comparison of Hawaiian soil on the top, akadama in the middle & black cinder & turface on the bottom.

hsoil12.jpg

Lotta work & little return, but its free:)

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
buddhamonk, although this soil is not fired, it is still pretty hard. I am told the breakdown is nearly equal to akadama. Oh &, its free, can't get any cheaper than that:p

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well when one looks at the proximity of Japan soil composition could very well be similar as Akadama is mined from volcanic regions I believe.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wonder if the Hawaii Department of Agriculture does soil sample analysis? Or if they have already done somethnig with that particular mineral mix? Or even some enterprising bonsai nut could have it done at their expense, could be a whole new industry there.

Perhaps fund a soil analysis of akadama and the Hawaiian material side by side to see if they contain the same mineral mix and have similar properties.

Last edited:

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I looked,there is much too much information on Hawaiian basalts.

Can the olivine sand be had?

Last edited:

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi guys, I am told that the area this soil is gathered is not accessible to the general public. You have to know someone to let you in on the property & theres a gentlemans agreement between bonsai folks here to just take what you need & only for your personal use. I am also told this soil has been around for a long time.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
"I am also told this soil has been around for a long time."

Ahhhh......most has.:D

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
This should clear things up........

Soil is a natural body consisting of layers (soil horizons) of mineral constituents of variable thicknesses, which differ from the parent materials in their morphological, physical, chemical, and mineralogical characteristics.[1] It is composed of particles of broken rock that have been altered by chemical and environmental processes that include weathering and erosion. Soil differs from its parent rock due to interactions between the lithosphere, hydrosphere, atmosphere, and the biosphere.[2] It is a mixture of mineral and organic constituents that are in solid, gaseous and aqueous states.[3][4] Soil particles pack loosely, forming a soil structure filled with pore spaces. These pores contain sol solution (liquid) and air (gas).[5] Accordingly, soils are often treated as a three state system.[6] Most soils have a density between 1 and 2 g/cm³. [7] Soil is also known as earth: it is the substance from which our planet takes its name. Little of the soil composition of planet Earth is older than Tertiary and most no older than Pleistocene.[8] In engineering, soil is referred to as regolith, or loose rock material.

keep it green,
Harry

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This should clear things up........

Soil is a natural body consisting of layers (soil horizons) of mineral constituents of variable thicknesses, which differ from the parent materials in their morphological, physical, chemical, and mineralogical characteristics.[1] It is composed of particles of broken rock that have been altered by chemical and environmental processes that include weathering and erosion. Soil differs from its parent rock due to interactions between the lithosphere, hydrosphere, atmosphere, and the biosphere.[2] It is a mixture of mineral and organic constituents that are in solid, gaseous and aqueous states.[3][4] Soil particles pack loosely, forming a soil structure filled with pore spaces. These pores contain sol solution (liquid) and air (gas).[5] Accordingly, soils are often treated as a three state system.[6] Most soils have a density between 1 and 2 g/cm³. [7] Soil is also known as earth: it is the substance from which our planet takes its name. Little of the soil composition of planet Earth is older than Tertiary and most no older than Pleistocene.[8] In engineering, soil is referred to as regolith, or loose rock material.

keep it green,
Harry

Wow, is that really you Harry?;) Have a Mojita on me:)

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"I am also told this soil has been around for a long time."

Ahhhh......most has.:D

Sorry, what I meant to say was, bonsai folks have been using this soil in Hawaii for a long time. I had no idea this type of soil existed here in Hawaii. Thats another great thing about belonging to a club, you get the inside scoops.

Wm Tom Davis

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gotta bring laulau an da kine to da bruddas on da udda si of da Pali... was staying near three weeks ago.

You ever visit the bonsai place over in Waimanalo?

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I looked,there is much too much information on Hawaiian basalts.

Can the olivine sand be had?

There is no reason for that.
There is a continuum from pumice (high silica content, low Fe and Mg) to lava rock like Hawaiian basalt (low silica content, high Fe and Mg thus lots of olivine).

Just Duane

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gotta bring laulau an da kine to da bruddas on da udda si of da Pali... was staying near three weeks ago.

You ever visit the bonsai place over in Waimanalo?

Wow, thats very good kine pidgeon english you get brah! haha
Yes, i've been to Walter Liews place over in Waimanalo (Dragon Garden Bonsai Center)
I recomend visiting his place if anybody visits Oahu Hawaii.

Top Bottom