Hawaiian Snow Bush

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My fiancee bought me this little tree in May and I've done a little work on the bush and man was it hard. This little plant is so delicate but can really fit the broom style as it can grow really dense foliage. I've done some wiring and was able to really open up this little plant.

YVvCsL1.jpg

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Pretty piece of starter stock. I dont meant to discourage you but you should remove that wire. Its not done even close to right and will harm the tree over time. Take it to a bonsai club and let them teach you how to wire it properly.

Last edited:

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pretty piece of starter stock. I dont meant to discourage you but you should remove that wire. Its not done even close to right and will harm the tree over time. Take it to a bonsai club and let them teach you how to wire it properly.

I figured I did a crap job wiring...Thanks for being honest though.

Beng

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Sure, on a positive note its a nice looking piece of starter stock, you seem to have it in a proper bonsai mix as well. Hopefully this tree has decades ahead of it to develop! Just thicken up that trunk and a few chops/years later you'll have a nice shohin tree. ;) I love the fall leaf color and shape.

MnouJiose

Seed
Reaction score
I also and going to start JBP, and JRP from seed this spring and hopeful one batch every year thereafter.

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's been about 6 months since I last posted a picture but I wanted to give an update on this tree. The winter has been pretty much brutal on my other trees but this one I brought in around october suffered some foliage loss due to the change in environment. However, the new soil mixture worked really well and since it wasn't as damp as the other soil I've used in past. Using the oil dry mixture really helped in the draining and water retention. Much of the red foliage became quite apparent in november even more and then everything fell off. This was pretty unsettling because I thought the tree was about to die then new growth came up. During that time I was so worried the tree was dead so I didn't even bother wiring since 1) there's no point if it's dead or 2) it's still alive and I don't want to style a weak tree.

In December, the tree showed quite a bit of activity and since it sat at the window sill where it got sunlight up until noon, this tree was incredibly fortunate. I've done some styling from the last picture and find that I like this a lot better. I do plan to move it to a new pot sometime next year but this one is fine; but, I just don't like the off centered-ness of the plant.

Feb/March 2014
C9vCaIs.jpg

April 2014
qZNwC0t.jpg

Last edited:

lieuz

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just wanted to post an updated picture of the tree. It's doing amazingly well, I couldn't have ever imagined what a great tree it has become. Also, it was such a pain to wire...

April-May Growth
LMEcSI9.png

June Growth
OwUxk0n.png

The new growth since last year's old growth has all been green and white. I wonder if the leaves will change color in the fall? Or I wonder if it's all dependent on the environment it's in?

Top Bottom