Hawaiian umbrella help

Phillthy

Mame
Reaction score
ive been noticing white powdery stuff on the leaves of my Hawaiian umbrella. It comes right off when I rub it with my fingers. Should I be concerned? Can someone tell me why this is happening.

Attachments

• IMG_2095.JPG
    IMG_2095.JPG
    227.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2096.JPG
    IMG_2096.JPG
    406.4 KB · Views: 36

Phillthy

Mame
Reaction score
I keep it outdoors during the day and I take it inside when it's below 60 degrees. I water the top of the tree then the soil.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm with AZbonsai on this one. Take a paper cloth, wet it with vinegar, and see if the whiteness wipes right off the leaves.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You must have pretty hard water. Either BRITA filter the water or just accept that its going to happen. I get a bit of the same thing on my Schef because the water in Boston isn't great. I just try to avoid watering from the top

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Also, leave the tree outside until temperatures are forecast for under 50F. Scheff's can handle 50 and above easily.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Should I be concerned?

How do I avoid getting water stains

I water our small one at the base of the plant, not foliar. I do the same with all plants actually. When it gets dusty(during the Winter indoors) I spray the dust off with the sprayer in the sink. We have a whole house filter that greatly reduced the problem but I found it easy prior to it being installed.

Grimmy

Top Bottom