HAWTHORN AIRLAYER OR SHOOT GROW

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I have a pretty nice, older Hawthorn that I would like to make two trees out of and thought I would check before I committed myself to this project. Do they air layer and shoot grow or one or the other but not both? The trunk where I would be doing the work is about 1/2-3/4" in diameter. Thanks for help.

Attachments

• IMG_5263.jpg
    IMG_5263.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5264.jpg
    IMG_5264.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_5271.jpg
    IMG_5271.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 80

Rivian

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

"Shoot grow" = grow from cuttings?

"
BobTheGardener Posts: 11,391
November 2013
From my experience, hawthorn cuttings don't take very well - I had less than 1 in 5 root."

"Hawthorns are usually grown from seed. However,
many species will grow from fresh softwood or hardwood hawthorn cuttings taken during the summer and winter months,
advises the University of Missouri Extension. The cuttings root best when treated with powdered rooting hormone."

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I have only tried C. monogyna and have never had any cuttings strike or had a layer produce roots.
Quite frustrating as they are weeds in this area so tough as.
They graft easily, transplant with almost no roots and I have struck some from root cuttings but no success above ground, ever.
I was going to put it in the impossible category but should probably recognize some limitations and the possibility it is just hard to strike.

Leave it up to you whether you try or not.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

"Shoot grow" = grow from cuttings?

"
BobTheGardener Posts: 11,391
November 2013
From my experience, hawthorn cuttings don't take very well - I had less than 1 in 5 root."

"Hawthorns are usually grown from seed. However,
many species will grow from fresh softwood or hardwood hawthorn cuttings taken during the summer and winter months,
advises the University of Missouri Extension. The cuttings root best when treated with powdered rooting hormone."
I tried 60 May hawthorn hard wood cuttings root cuttings. Only 1 hard wood cutting is still alive after 8 months. However, I believe that it is doable once I learn to care for them. LSU Ag extension says that commercial growers have done semi hard wood cuttings for ages.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I got 3 for 3 cuttings strike really well of Paul’s Scarlet Hawthorn in June and one hardwood in late March the same year two years ago. $@&#!!! Rabbit got two and a half. Summer sun got the hardwood cutting.

Here’s whats left! Haven’t tried Black Hawthorn yet… Yet there are references to Tony Tickle and others making air layers happen. Some reports say plan for two years, be surprised in one. 😉

cheers
DSD sends

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had very good success with cuttings from Paul's Scarlet and Crimson Cloud, taking second year wood. I've never tried C. monogyna as they're so abundant around here. I have collected several with good success and I've collected lots of sprouted seedlings from under mature trees and they grow very well, but it's many years before you see any flowers.

arbuscula

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8+
Bit late to this party but thought I'd add to it based on my limited experience. My first attempts at airlayers was with a couple of hawthorns (C. monogyna) I have. Did them late May 2019 - I was told it would be on the borderline for trying that year.

Come late July, could have been early August?, the leaves of airlayers began to turn pale green to yellow. I decided to check on the possibility of roots and only found callousing with some white 'dots' (I now believe to have been the roots starting).

I decided to remove both airlayers and pot up with sphagnum moss and a loose mix and place in a shaded area. The leaves continued to loose colour and some dropped. I left to see what may happen come spring 2020. At that time they budded out and continued to leaf and grow. In 2022 and 23 one of them flowered and produced haws... still in the plastic plant pots.

I've just acquired a bare root specimen of Paul's Scarlet with long branches and came across this post while looking for information on trying to take cuttings and airlayers for the P S. I understand they can be difficult.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Bit late to this party but thought I'd add to it based on my limited experience. My first attempts at airlayers was with a couple of hawthorns (C. monogyna) I have. Did them late May 2019 - I was told it would be on the borderline for trying that year.

Come late July, could have been early August?, the leaves of airlayers began to turn pale green to yellow. I decided to check on the possibility of roots and only found callousing with some white 'dots' (I now believe to have been the roots starting).

I decided to remove both airlayers and pot up with sphagnum moss and a loose mix and place in a shaded area. The leaves continued to loose colour and some dropped. I left to see what may happen come spring 2020. At that time they budded out and continued to leaf and grow. In 2022 and 23 one of them flowered and produced haws... still in the plastic plant pots.

I've just acquired a bare root specimen of Paul's Scarlet with long branches and came across this post while looking for information on trying to take cuttings and airlayers for the P S. I understand they can be difficult.
What was the trunk diameter of the air layers you potted and had success with if I can ask?

arbuscula

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8+
What was the trunk diameter of the air layers you potted and had success with if I can ask?
Sorry... ½" to ⅝"~¾" if I remember correctly. I'll stress that they weren't how I expected them to be when I removed them but didn't want to leave to die on the parent trees. I was extremely surprised that they came through the following year so the impression I have is that they continued to develop from the callousing. I've had similar last year with a yew (Taxus bacatta) airlayer removed from the parent.

I'll also mention (can't edit my post) that the airlayers were started at the late end for making - could have been late April rather than May... or into May. Apologies for not being certain of that time.

arbuscula

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8+
Since nobody told me that it was difficult, I air-layered C. monogyna - 2, 3 and 4-inch diameter branches with old bark two years ago. 100% success rate.
Yes... nobody told me they are difficult... but with doing mine a bit on the late side time wise I'd have thought they could be... almost did.

Now... for the Paul's Scarlet it probably is difficult - but apparently not impossible.

Top Bottom