Hawthorn (Crataegus monogyna) germination

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I’m wondering if anyone has any experience germinating hawthorn seeds. They have a thick outer shell and Sheffield’s said to “Soak in sulfuric or nitric acid for 0.5-2 hours and wash under cold water for 10-15 minutes., rinse 3 times.” All responses are greatly appreciated

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
They are super weedy around here and seeds will eventually germinate on their own. I have germinated them by grinding the shell on sandpaper and sowing outside to let nature do its thing.

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
How far down did you grind the seed? Was it on one side or all over? Any other advice ?

NaoTK

Chumono
Reaction score
I ran out and grabbed one for you. I was curious myself how thick that woody shell is so I sawed one in half. It's about 50% of the radius. I didn't grind that far the first time, maybe 25% through on one side.

1638842494578.png

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Curious if anyone has soaked in acid or any other softening agent

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m wondering if anyone has any experience germinating hawthorn seeds. They have a thick outer shell and Sheffield’s said to “Soak in sulfuric or nitric acid for 0.5-2 hours and wash under cold water for 10-15 minutes., rinse 3 times.” All responses are greatly appreciated
I bought the same seeds from them a year ago. I soaked the seeds in like... orange juice for a night, for lack of anything else acidic. None germinated last spring after winter stratification. Pretty sure I've read they can take more than a year so I'm still sitting on them and will see if any sprout next spring.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
They are super weedy around here and seeds will eventually germinate on their own.
Many plants with seeds in fruit rely on birds to spread the seeds. Seed passing through a bird digestive system is subject to grinding and acid bath. That's why they germinate so easily as weeds - already pre-treated as nature intended.
I doubt that orange juice or even vinegar will be strong enough to do the acid treatment.

Top Bottom