Hawthorn cutting

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Good luck with this cutting. Hawthorn is a genus I have never been able to strike as stem cuttings.
Many cuttings will sprout buds using the energy stored in the stem but unless they also grow some roots the buds tend to be short lived.
Please let us know if/when this one gets roots.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've had poor luck also with hawthorn cuttings. Probably less than 5% success rate. They will produce leaves; it's just that roots seldom follow.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I haphazardly stuck 2 root cuttings last year and both stuck. Perhaps this could be a way forward for some.

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for the comments guys, not very encouraging though. Maybe I’ll just hope for 1 out of 7. This is the first time I’ve tried hawthorn cuttings. Maybe I’ll get lucky. I’ll keep the thread going if this one makes it.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I haphazardly stuck 2 root cuttings last year and both stuck. Perhaps this could be a way forward for some.
I've also been doing root cuttings and have had good strike rates but that does not help when trying to propagate the really good double red flowered cultivars that are grafted.
There's also little point growing small root cuttings when there are thousands of feral hawthorns of all sizes waiting to be dug.

Guess I'll just have to do some grafting.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’ve had success if with root cuttings but never stem cuttings,I would not get my hopes up just yet

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
If it takes, you will be one of few, especially without bottom heat and automatic misting. Usually only professional set ups work for hawthorn.
Speaking of heat mats. Anyone ever tried using a hot compost pile as a heat source for bottom heat? I am currently just playing with this crabapple I dug up. I almost said the hell with it multiple times. It’s in a pot about 12 inches down. Of course there is no heat control except for what my hand says is warm. Carry on thornies9076D65B-5407-416D-8648-66C8B90699DC.jpeg9076D65B-5407-416D-8648-66C8B90699DC.jpeg3AF0591F-DF7C-4A8C-B531-A7D1B3FA6864.jpegD2C899B7-C170-4B93-B2AA-CB50CFF1788D.jpeg

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've also been doing root cuttings and have had good strike rates but that does not help when trying to propagate the really good double red flowered cultivars that are grafted.
There's also little point growing small root cuttings when there are thousands of feral hawthorns of all sizes waiting to be dug.

Guess I'll just have to do some grafting.

I've come to the conclusion after multiple years of attempts and 6 failed air layers that grafting is the best way to go with Paul's Double Red.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The wood on these harden up so quick in the spring I was thinking semi ripe wood in spring with an aqua Ponic cloner I’ve seen hardwood oak root in them things.
I have a crataegus X media out in the yard with the pink double flowers I want to try propagating With my aqua ponic I’m gonna build

Top Bottom