Hawthorn cuttings

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Collected some hawthorn and crabapple cuttings today while at clients. Curious what people’s success rates have been with Haw cuttings.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Never tried cuttings but hawthorns are pretty vigorous.
They should root pretty easily.
But they do grow slow so pack a lunch.

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Never been able to strike a hawthorn cutting and, from what I read, they are notoriously hard to root from cutting unless in a professional setup

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The easiest way to propagate hawthorn is seed. Air layers and cuttings are hard, although I've managed to air layer C. Monogyna once. More often they produce large amounts of callus but fail to issue roots. There is no harm in trying however, just be prepared to accept high losses.

The sought after variety Paul's Scarlet, a double red form, is very difficult indeed - 4/4 air layer failures and from talking to other growers they have had similar results.

Last edited:

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have started a cutting from Paul's Scarlet and Crimson Cloud, one of each just to see if I could, in pure pumice. The Paul's Scarlet is flowering after two seasons.
I have had excellent results taking basal shoots from English Hawthorne. Eleven out of twelve struck roots, however, all my cuttings from my Snakethorn died, as did the mother tree.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have a smallish crimson cloud in my landscape. It has sent up suckers from the rootstalk that I want to propagate. I have nothing close to a professional set up to do cuttings so I don't want to risk that. If I bend it down and try to ground layer, would that work?

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I have a smallish crimson cloud in my landscape. It has sent up suckers from the rootstalk that I want to propagate. I have nothing close to a professional set up to do cuttings so I don't want to risk that. If I bend it down and try to ground layer, would that work?
Interesting idea. I say go for it. Why not?

You could try a few ground layers and a few cuttings if there’s enough.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most likely your Crimson Cloud is a grafted tree so all suckers from the rootstalk will be Cratgus media or whatever they used for rootstock. I have done some ground layers in a pot of soil on an elevated stand. I guess that's airlayering, but I didn't cut the bark or anything. I just buried a branch in and out of the soil.
I wanted to mention that I took my cuttings in early spring, as soon as I saw movement in the new buds.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most likely your Crimson Cloud is a grafted tree so all suckers from the rootstalk will be Cratgus media or whatever they used for rootstock. I have done some ground layers in a pot of soil on an elevated stand. I guess that's airlayering, but I didn't cut the bark or anything. I just buried a branch in rand out of the soil.
I wanted to mention that I took my cuttings in early spring, as soon as I saw movement in the new buds.
Yes the rootstock is what I would want the layer to be for the hardiness. Plus I'm a fan of Harry Harrington's work with collected hawthorne. I dont kmow if id live long enough for these starts to reach that size or quality, but it would be fun to grow anyway.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
I have had zero luck rooting hawthorn and crabapples. Bottom heat is the only thing I have not tried. I can root just about anything else. I even got one out of about 300 larch cuttings to root.
I suggest take as many as you can get because I suspect numbers will be low if any take. Provide humidity aka a done over the containers. I use flipped over rubbermaid bins. Put the container up on bricks and keep the upside down life full of water. Should be nice and humid. That's how I get my ficus healthy again, after a long new England winter Indoors. Good luck

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The best way is to take root cuttings when you repot,hawthorns usually have thick roots that like to grow straight down,they will take easily.

Brent

Mame
Reaction score
'Paul's Scarlet' is not impossible to root from stem cuttings, but almost. I started experimenting with semi hardwood cuttings in June about 35 years ago. Hundreds of them, none rooted, but as pointed out, they callus nicely. Not willing to give up, I kept them under moist conditons through the summer, and let them freeze in winter out in the open. After THREE years, I got about a half dozen to root. Home free, since they sucker like mad as do most haws. So from this handful of rooted cuttings, I have propagated thousands of root cuttings which of course are true 'Paul's Scarlet' top, bottom, roots. I have a hedge of 50 of them twenty years old now. Beautiful sight right now in full bloom. But you have to get that first cutting to root. I haven't bothered with them for the last couple years, but this spring we have a nice crop of sprouted root cuttings for sale. Available next month.

Brent
EvergreenGardenworks.com

Top Bottom