Hawthorn management?

Javaman4373

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I lifted this Brainerd Hawthorn (Crataegus brainerdii) from out of our woods last year and it is growing vigorously this spring. My plan was to let it grow to thicken the trunk and then eventually chop it back. It has put on about 8 inches of growth already this spring and I wonder if there is something I should do to encourage ramification.

Attachments

• IMG_3296.jpg
    IMG_3296.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3297.jpg
    IMG_3297.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 43

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good Morning! Nice tree!

You’ve got a couple competing ideas cooking at once along with one size limitation issue.

The size limitation issue…. I’ve got a couple English Hawthorns and they need time and room to grow to trunk out. The pot you have this guy in will be root bound in a couple years, Then growth will begin to stall. So up potting will be needed to trunk out.

Growing trunk size. Hawthorns being essentially shrubs, don’t trunk up as fast as tree. But In essence, foliage mass drives the growth. The more foliar mass the tree puts on, the greater the trunk and branches will caliber out. One of the inherent issues I have is the branches want to caliper out at the same size as the trunk ajoining. So to get more trunk, grow the tree out.

Creating ramification- To create ramification one cuts back each branches foliage extension to a leaf node pointing in the direction you first want the ramification to head, when the next growth appears, go in the opposite direction.

Yet here’s the conundrum we all face. To trunk out a tree needs to have unrestricted growth, thus larger and larger container size (or ground grow) and more and more foliage. To improve ramification one needs to prune the foliage back, which will slow the tree growth.

in short

Fast Tree trunk growth = ( grow in ground or up pot frequently + allow unlimited growth / little or no pruning)

Create Ramification = Lots of pruning

Here’s one of my Hawthorns today. (Btw I-find these relatively easy to grow from cuttings)

0B6C592A-B905-496B-8010-DA48BE113801.jpeg

cheers
DSD sends

Javaman4373

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the tips DSD. I think my best bet would be to slip the tree into the ground and let it grow at will for now.

Top Bottom