hawthorn project

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is a hawthorn i aquired from Martha in early spring,its a english with pink blooms,the tree had some heavy branching that should have been removed years ago that i cut,i also choped and grew a new leader which you can see,also where the orange surveryers tape is located i did a approach graft.I have never worked with hawthorns before,this tree is very vigorous and is sitting on its own roots,no graft,bark is begining to crack alot,im trying to get the basic structure and primary branching complete,i also believe i need to pull the leader to the right more,im thinking this tree should be classified as maybe a informal slant??Any help would be appreciatted.Ive only had some online photos and book photos of hawthorns to go by,there are none in the wild close by that i could see how they grow.Even with the pruning scars i believe this could eventually be a nice tree.Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCN0005.jpg
    DSCN0005.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 98

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The trunk is approx. 13/4"maybe a little more,height 19"

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
What type of help are you looking for? For care, I keep mine in full sun, and they have a very aggressive root system, but one never seems dry (glazed pot), and the other always seems dry (cracked, unglazed pot). They get fed a lot and often, and really need very little attention. Aphids occasionally, but always on growth that needs to be pinched out anyway. They're vigorous growers in the spring, but are kind of stalled out at the moment. Fall color can be beautiful if the conditions are right.

It looks like this one needs to grow a while to heal over the pruning scars, and that will help thicken the branches at the same time...they're VERY slow to put on diameter in a pot.

Any idea what variety it is?

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd worry about making it look like a tree and not about how to fit it in to anyones classification scheme. There are lots of different species of hawthorn but most seem very though. In my experience, pruning scars take forever to actually heal and usually en up being uro's in my hands. What is the trunk diameter on this tree? what's the diameter of the trunk to height ratio? How tall do you want it to be?

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Sorry for the late response guys ive been on vacation,i just actually measured the tree,the lower base is 2",the total height of the tree is 19",im not looking for radical taper like say alot of the trident maples seen,but a more natural look,i agree the scars are fresh and need to heal,im wondering if im going down the right path with this tree,should i take a radical diffrent approach to styling it?Should it still be shortened?If so,should i chop below the heavy scar??Or develop what i have?I have found that this hawthorn loves water,i know its a english hawthorn with pink blooms,thats about all the info i could give right now about its origins.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks for the info Jason and Brian,i think im gonna leave it grow in the nursery can until it heals and fills in,hopefully that will speed things up,then ill begin cutting the roots.

Top Bottom