Hawthorn seeds

JesusFreak

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Has anyone ever grown Crataegus monogyna from seed? It says to soak them in nitric or sulfuric acid for .5-2 hours. Never heard of this before

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I collected some in the fall and threw em in the yard. Most grew in spring some grew in fall. I think a couple the following spring.

I was talking to a dude this morning about the proper use of fungus. Reckon there is a better use for acid as well!

Sorce

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Has anyone ever grown Crataegus monogyna from seed? It says to soak them in nitric or sulfuric acid for .5-2 hours. Never heard of this before
I ordered a few packets of seeds last fall that I've been stratifying over winter. One of them is Crataegus monogyna and I had the same instructions but don't own those. So I just improvised and soaked them in lemon juice over night since it is naturally acidic. They'll be done their cold stratification in mid-March and will then sow them. I guess I'll know if I'm successful in a month or two.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Sounds like they need to pass through a digestive tract for good germination.
Both these acids break down fats and lipids. An overnight soak in some tepid water with dishwashing detergent should have the same effect. A couple drops of peroxide to seal the deal.

Top Bottom