Hawthorn - should I get it?

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have an option to buy this hawthorn, but I am a bit worried about the bottom part of the tree. Not sure if anything wrong with it, but the 'thin' line of bark makes me a bit anxious. Am i overreacting? Thanks.

Screenshot 2021-11-24 at 09.15.32.pngScreenshot 2021-11-24 at 09.15.41.pngScreenshot 2021-11-24 at 09.15.52.pngScreenshot 2021-11-24 at 09.16.00.pngScreenshot 2021-11-24 at 09.16.07.pngScreenshot 2021-11-24 at 09.16.14.png

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
How much do you trust the seller?
The carving looks recent and is very extensive. Hard to make out what is still alive and what is not. I would certainly like to see the top growing to show that there is a good connection between roots and branches before I would pay good coin for that one.

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It's an online auction, but it is from reputable seller. He sent me the video of branches where there are plenty of visible buds, according to him, the tree grows well. It was carved couple of years ago, couple of weeks only the old bark was removed, so that he could see where the live vein is.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love it but have the same concerns. I want to see it growing.

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The guy is actually really nice and fair. Cash back guarantee in the spring if the tree does not grow.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The guy is actually really nice and fair. Cash back guarantee in the spring if the tree does not grow.
There does not seem to be any problem if a refund is available. Only down to your preferences. By posting it seems you are interested in the possibility of a largely dead trunk with a small live vein.

If your concern is more about aesthetics and how the tree will look with just a narrow live vein on a dead trunk there are many great trees that have just a tiny live vein to feed the branches on a larger dead trunk. Junipers are the main species but I think some deciduous species can be styled in a similar way.
Deciduous dead wood is often carved to give hollows as well as intact dead sections. Some nice looking trees coming from European growers in recent years.

Krone

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I really love the aesthetics of this tree. My only consideration was that the live vein is too thin. And I think that the price i also pretty good. Just hope that I will be the only one bidding :D

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have to say, I'd kill it with my care (or lack of).

Sorce

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Looks like you are yearning for a Thanksgiving present!

For me this would be a pass. Not that I don’t like Hawthorns, I like them and have one and am growing others from its cuttings. It’s just that aesthetically I’m not drawn to this particular tree. Especially as the craving attempts that removed that nice gnarly bark don’t seem to improve the design for my tastes.

Anyways when preparing for Thanksgiving dinner in the past couple years I’ve discovered that even in our family we are more disparate in tastes then united. Out here some like turkey, others like Rork Cornish Game Hen and a few souls like Tofukey or Salmon!

cheers
DSD sends

Marco B

Mame
Reaction score
Thust me, Yannick, the person who sales this tree, knows what he is doing, he wouldnt sell trees if they ar not healty...

Top Bottom