Hawthorn yamadori uk

Wattsy

Yamadori
Reaction score
Found all of these today do you think they are worth my time in digging them out in the autumn

Attachments

• C0736BB7-8291-421F-A0A3-3A81DAA7171F.jpeg
    C0736BB7-8291-421F-A0A3-3A81DAA7171F.jpeg
    401.6 KB · Views: 101
  • E2B5008F-E879-4E63-A3A6-52B3502A2D25.jpeg
    E2B5008F-E879-4E63-A3A6-52B3502A2D25.jpeg
    334.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 22E0FC9E-9A4E-4DE0-BEB2-592C4AFE2429.jpeg
    22E0FC9E-9A4E-4DE0-BEB2-592C4AFE2429.jpeg
    332.7 KB · Views: 74
  • F2B7864F-9CF6-48E5-A989-D8FE76530436.jpeg
    F2B7864F-9CF6-48E5-A989-D8FE76530436.jpeg
    412.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 69CAD3EA-6637-434E-8C36-1AD0F02EEE94.jpeg
    69CAD3EA-6637-434E-8C36-1AD0F02EEE94.jpeg
    351.7 KB · Views: 83

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think they are decent and have some characterful bark, and a little movement. I say yay

one of them looks a bit like a raft that Harry harrington did

Attachments

• hawthorn-raft-05.jpg
    hawthorn-raft-05.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 68
  • hawthorn-raft-01.jpg
    hawthorn-raft-01.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 89

SgtPilko

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another vote for go for it especially after you've already chopped em. That woodland is already looking autumnal! Harry seems to think Autumn better than the 'traditional' early spring on his site:

"Crataegus monogyna/Common Hawthorn
Our best results have been from early October, through to early December around 4 weeks after leaf-fall. Trees collected from December through to the beginning of February, when the ground isn't frozen, will survive but our success rates fell. The 'traditional' collecting time for Hawthorn is early February onwards until leaf-break and our survival rates were only marginally less than in the Autumn. However the Autumn-collected trees have typically been stronger in the following year."

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Another vote for go for it especially after you've already chopped em. That woodland is already looking autumnal! Harry seems to think Autumn better than the 'traditional' early spring on his site:

"Crataegus monogyna/Common Hawthorn
Our best results have been from early October, through to early December around 4 weeks after leaf-fall. Trees collected from December through to the beginning of February, when the ground isn't frozen, will survive but our success rates fell. The 'traditional' collecting time for Hawthorn is early February onwards until leaf-break and our survival rates were only marginally less than in the Autumn. However the Autumn-collected trees have typically been stronger in the following year."
yeh tbf tho, the bare rooting period in the UK begins Oct through to March. Thats when you can go to any of the larger tree nurseries and buy bare rooted trees, slightly different as theyre field grown trees selected for hedging material. most of these industries have been around for decades, if they werent successful at digging up trees during this period they'd be out of business. and people are always gonna want hornbeam, beech, hawthorn, field maple and taxus for hedging, privacy and screening.
This is also the time when I go to look for nursery hornbeams and have had no problems when doing top and bottom work on them in this period. still have to know what youre doing though, as while these are tough trees, they still have a threshold when too much reduction can weaken the tree severely, once youve done a few, maybe had a few losses on the way, you get to understand exactly what that threshold is, its hard to explain in words, sometimes instincts just kick in when the tree is in front of you.
Also, im pretty sure Harry uses a poly tunnel after he collects the hawthorns, so take aftercare into account too and a bit of cover over winter.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
yeh tbf tho, the bare rooting period in the UK begins Oct through to March. Thats when you can go to any of the larger tree nurseries and buy bare rooted trees, slightly different as theyre field grown trees selected for hedging material. most of these industries have been around for decades, if they werent successful at digging up trees during this period they'd be out of business. and people are always gonna want hornbeam, beech, hawthorn, field maple and taxus for hedging, privacy and screening.
This is also the time when I go to look for nursery hornbeams and have had no problems when doing top and bottom work on them in this period. still have to know what youre doing though, as while these are tough trees, they still have a threshold when too much reduction can weaken the tree severely, once youve done a few, maybe had a few losses on the way, you get to understand exactly what that threshold is, its hard to explain in words, sometimes instincts just kick in when the tree is in front of you.
Also, im pretty sure Harry uses a poly tunnel after he collects the hawthorns, so take aftercare into account too and a bit of cover over winter.
Any of you UK lads wanna bare root a yamadori hawthorn and send it over the pond?

Wattsy

Yamadori
Reaction score
What everybody’s thoughts on digging now or shall I wait a couple months the summer here has been very hot most of the trees are turning brown around the south east of England due to the temperature I am thinking they might be better in a pot with a constant water supply

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
What everybody’s thoughts on digging now or shall I wait a couple months the summer here has been very hot most of the trees are turning brown around the south east of England due to the temperature I am thinking they might be better in a pot with a constant water supply
If theres no urgency I think i'd wait until Oct onwards. its starting to rain a bit now and the heat has gone out of the weather for the time being, the earth is getting a well needed drink.

Wattsy

Yamadori
Reaction score
No urgency at all just thought water might help them pretty sure they have done there growing for this year anyway as they can’t keep the leaves green it been too hot

Wattsy

Yamadori
Reaction score
If there's no need for urgency, waiting 2 months will be good for the trees and more so for you.
Yes the ground is hard and usually it’s very soft even trenching round these would be difficult at the moment

bluone23

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wait until oct, if not end of february.
Also hawthorn responds very well to the black plastic bag technique. ( after collection pot the tree water it and place everything in a black plastic bag and as it leafs out gradually remove the bag)

Wattsy

Yamadori
Reaction score
What soil would you guys use I’ve looked about and there’s lots about akadama but also lots of people don’t use it I was thinking pine bark 20% pumice20% perlite20% and 40% potting compost any good or will this be wrong

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
you could go on kaizen bonsai and read up on soils, any of em will do.
check out Tony tickles youtube channel, plenty of great Hawthorn tips, he's a prolific hawthorn collector.

Wattsy

Yamadori
Reaction score
Thank you very much a lot of the bonsai retailers sell there own mix and dont explain how to mix your own I don’t want to use akadama because of the price really so I am looking for an alternative I have many plants that I want to repot in the spring most are in normal nursery soil at the moment all growing well but as they show some promise I will repot into better soil mix

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Ive used cat litter, pumice, pine bark, john innes compost all in equal amounts. dont ask me about ratios lol
Now i just use cat litter, sometimes i throw in a bit of pumice, maybe a bit of old bonsai soil that has a little compost in it, im not really fussy about this stuff. it just needs to drain freely and im good. hope that helps. thats all im gonna say about soil.

only use this one

my micro climate is the deciding factor for my soil choices, my trees are on a south facing balcony, gets baking hot sun all day from 8am to 4ish. its like a hot box in summer. ive experimented with inorganic mixes and they dry out too quickly for me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220818-165723_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20220818-165723_Google.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Wattsy

Yamadori
Reaction score
Ive used cat litter, pumice, pine bark, john innes compost all in equal amounts. dont ask me about ratios lol
Now i just use cat litter, sometimes i throw in a bit of pumice, maybe a bit of old bonsai soil that has a little compost in it, im not really fussy about this stuff. it just needs to drain freely and im good. hope that helps. thats all im gonna say about soil.

only use this one

my micro climate is the deciding factor for my soil choices, my trees are on a south facing balcony, gets baking hot sun all day from 8am to 4ish. its like a hot box in summer. ive experimented with inorganic mixes and they dry out too quickly for me.
I have the same my garden is red hot all summer when we have one lol
I think I’ll go with what I think instead recommend mixes thanks for lino to cat litter

Top Bottom