Hawthorn

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
This is a newly acquired Hawthorn, here are some images after tidy up of moss and some branch pruning..
IMG_7084.jpg

IMG_7089.jpg

IMG_7090.jpg

IMG_7091.jpg

f6a45a92-f3ef-492f-8f3e-1f686993125c.jpg

IMG_7101.jpg

IMG_7107.jpg

IMG_7113.jpg

Aiming to keep it looking natural similar to the image below, it needs time to develop the branch structure and ramification/fine twigging. but i think it has character and potential..
hawthorn-tree%201.jpg

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool looking little tree. It's starting to get some flaky bark going too. I like the uros in the first picture. How long has it been in training?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi and cheers mate, I couldnt tell you how long in training, but the nursery i bought it from had got it from an auction and he reckons its a collected tree and that the nebari would of been developed in the wild. it doesnt look like its been wired to me either, all the branches show angular movement. ill keep on pruning it in the same fashion, ive wired one branch as it was a little leggy. im going to get it slightly more compact. in the front of the tree there is a Uro thats callused over, im thinking about hollowing that small bit of deadwood out to create a hollow in the base. no rush though..

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I love the root mass.

Excellent stuff!

Sorce

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hi folks and thanks for the comments, I couldnt resist whacking some wire on and hollowing out parts of deadwood in the base, its help to give the tree more character and dark areas in the nebari give a natural feel. now to to develop the canopy, next season i will cut back flower buds to develop fine branching.

f4187011-9931-4aa3-85e9-5d8d9137ed1f.jpg

IMG_7145_1.jpg

IMG_7146_1.jpg

Last edited:

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I did some further styling, its backbudding all over the tree now so will have a bit more to work with over the winter. i have a slab made for it for spring, its by China mist..

IMG_7506.jpg

IMG_7503.jpg

IMG_7508.jpg

IMG_7515.jpg

pic_windswept_hawthorn.jpg

1447181_5bfc33c0.jpg

I wanted the landscape slab as im trying to make this tree look as natural as possible and styling it like an English Hawthorn out on the moors..

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ever tempted when first aquirred to cut everything off above that lowest branch?
Just curious.

I put a seedling in the ground a couple falls ago....
I'll make the nurse wheel me out when some lucky soul digs it out of my yard!!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thought never crossed my my mind Lance, im in love with the natural look of the tree, it will only get better with time.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shhh...don't say "natural", every body here will start an argument...hehehe...

Here's to the future!!!!
Cheers!!!

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Going back to when i got it, i did actually chop a few bits off, anymore and i'd be left with no tree:)

Cheers mate!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Both slabs look like they move left, where the tree moves right.
Can you turn either?

I like the right slab better, seems to visually fit the roots better. Though it may not be wide enough.

Good stuff!

Sorce

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Cheers, Source, thanks for that input, yes both slabs can be turned as there isnt a front, they have different finishes on either side too. I will consider what you brought up when potting. i like the smaller slab better also, but i think its on the small side and will more suit a shohin tree.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Last edited:

Moonster

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi folks, this one is still evolving...before and after a light prune today, second prune of the season. got some wire on to get branches into position and more movement in areas. did a little work on the nebari...

IMG_1357 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_1380 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_1384 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_1382 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
IMG_1391 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

IMG_1395 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

Man the roots on this thing are awesome!

Top Bottom