Haydite for sale

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
In western Mass we get the angular grey stuff, usually cheap, like 15-20$ FOR 3 Barrels.

chappy56

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've used haydite with good results for a few years now. I get it at a local landscape supply company that sells mostly top soil, fill sand, gravel, crushed lava, etc.
I mix mine with composted pine bark and course sand. So far, so good.
The stuff here is grey in color and has a more natural color, better than anything I've used.
It's also cheap! Less than $10 for 75 lbs.
And they don't mind my sifting it before I pay for it.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
It's easy enough to compare the water holding capacities if you have access to both haydite and turface (and a decent small scale helps a lot). Unfortunately I cannot find haydite locally - I'd like to give it a try...but not at those prices! Especially compared to turface at around $15 for a 50 pound bag.

Chris

I did this test recently, I found that testing 1 cup, which weighs the same (turface, haydite), the turface held more water. It wasn't that different, only
a little more than an ounce. This haydite is grey and angular. Seems to be high fired, I've seen no breakdown at all.

It's the same basic size as sifted turface, so I'll mix it with that for my water pigs.

Top Bottom