Hazel Alder anyone?

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If it’s still alive and you want someone ti care for it, I will offer to hold on under my care.
You’re on Dad duty my friend let someone who’s kids are still swimming around in the primordial soup have their time in the sun until my ticket is punched lol

Reactions: GGB

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lol. I still have to keep my own trees alive. One more isnt a big deal. But thanks for taking my sanity into consideration. Haha

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
LOl, I'll have to facetime my sister to see if it's even still there. My original plan was to fly back and mail it to the new place lol. But she was telling me all my plants died, spare a few.

Will let you guys know once I find out. HOPE it's alive!

Oh, when I cut any branch, I cut to a bud or the next branch. I never cut to a bare stump. I remembered one large branch was healing well but the swell was pretty big lol. I feel the wood is nowhere near as soft as Salix. Those I can use my nails to scrape off after one winter.

Last edited:

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
watching with interest, shogun is my buddy. btw those nodules on the roots are nitrogen fixing knots. they make the soil better for other species. starting to think I need to mess around with one of these guys, trunks are always nice looking even in smaller calipers

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Watching this with interest as well. I was given to large Alders. Not sure if they were Hazel or Black alders but they look just like this.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ive said before, I use my alder's leaf color to indicate if im not fertilizing enough because it always remains a deep green due to its nitrogen fixing ability. Ive literally picked up my alder and put it next to other trees to compare.

ERClover

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Any word on if this tree lived and found a new home?

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Negative. I had a bunch of little stuff layed on the ground at the edge of my sister's property against a wooded area. I thought there may be a chance to come back later to ship them to the new place, but her landscaper made them all disappear 😢

A couple goji berries and an older ugly forsythia was also lost 😪

ERClover

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Dang. Found a couple nice Hazel Alders on the lake’s edge at my in-law’s place and wondered about their prospects for Bonsai. Naturally came here, found yours which looked awesome. Sounds like they’re not exactly perfect with the slow to no healing of cuts others are finding but maybe worth a shot.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yeah, this one I thought had great potential although the growth seem a bit course. I found this one heal rather nicely once given the chance to just grow out without chopping back.

Def give this species a try! They grow well and are very forgiving with major root works. They also root from cutting super easy similar to willows and such.

With trees that grow fast as alders, you want to make sure the nebari is worked early.

Man I missed that little guy!

ERClover

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Yeah, this one I thought had great potential although the growth seem a bit course. I found this one heal rather nicely once given the chance to just grow out without chopping back.

Def give this species a try! They grow well and are very forgiving with major root works. They also root from cutting super easy similar to willows and such.

With trees that grow fast as alders, you want to make sure the nebari is worked early.

I will definitely take your advice and at least take a couple cuttings. Seems like they love water so it’ll go right next to my Silver Maples and get plenty to drink. I also just like their little “pine cones”. Make for nice perspective.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Dang. Found a couple nice Hazel Alders on the lake’s edge at my in-law’s place and wondered about their prospects for Bonsai. Naturally came here, found yours which looked awesome. Sounds like they’re not exactly perfect with the slow to no healing of cuts others are finding but maybe worth a shot.
Hey In-laws !!! Oh yes I go way back with ERClover , we’re homies .. oh we’re just digging up these Alders.. kidding.. that’s cool.. but seriously Coordinates I need coordinates.. I’m gonna swoop in like a SAS ranger you won’t even know I’m there .

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B

Heal nicely ?? Haha my Alder brother .. mine is impossible to heal.. I cut the one back I have and it’s just dead .. no callus or nothing … I wonder if your was better healing because it was in the ground. Alder are from the same genus as Birch who also love water and need deep thorough watering

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
also just like their little “pine cones”. Make for nice perspective.
Oh yeas, me too. But what I find most striking are the catkins in the spring before leafing out.
I cut the one back I have and it’s just dead .. no callus or nothing
Did you cut back to the next living branch of a bud at least? I never cut to a stump. I will say the callous swells a lot though.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Oh yeas, me too. But what I find most striking are the catkins in the spring before leafing out.

Did you cut back to the next living branch of a bud at least? I never cut to a stump. I will say the callous swells a lot though.
There is a branch below it yes.. but it’s a Alnus Serrulata .. wood is very soft and dries quickly… it also seems to kill itself off with spotty live and dead tissue.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Have you applied like a cut paste or wood glue over the entire cut? I use wood glue on all the cuts.

I once used cut paste on a large cut and these things just kept on bleeding out! It was done late spring when leaves are already opening, but not hardened.

As with cuttings. I've had success with branches as large as my pinky root by submerging in a glass of water.

Good luck and have fun the the Alnus! I'll be watching for the thread updates.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Have you applied like a cut paste or wood glue over the entire cut? I use wood glue on all the cuts.

I once used cut paste on a large cut and these things just kept on bleeding out! It was done late spring when leaves are already opening, but not hardened.

As with cuttings. I've had success with branches as large as my pinky root by submerging in a glass of water.

Good luck and have fun the the Alnus! I'll be watching for the thread updates.
What kind of alder do you have my friend

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
The nursery I got it from "Edge of the Woods" offering native plants and trees, says it was Hazel Alder.

Speaking of, have you been to Ott's Exotic Plants? Place got some pretty interesting stuff sometimes.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
The nursery I got it from "Edge of the Woods" offering native plants and trees, says it was Hazel Alder.

Speaking of, have you been to Ott's Exotic Plants? Place got some pretty interesting stuff sometimes.
Yeah I got all my alders from Edge of the woods off Rt 100 .. I got 3 and only 1 is left. The alder I have left from them was ground grown.. a few years ago they had a lot of massive ones.. Alders in my experience do not heal well .. and when they do it’s only on branches not on big cuts. They readily will kill off any trunk chopped section for some reason.. I was looking back at your thread you had big cuts on them but did not share if they were healing and the cuts I saw you did have did not show any signs of callus either…. I did a native bonsai day with them back in May… i never went to Otts

Last edited:
Top Bottom