He didn't know maples would not grow in the tropics, so he went ahead.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
The japanese maple I own show this kind of behaviour: during fall/winter the leaves start to dry and fall without fall color, like the leaves from the back of the picture are now.

Exactly.
When they go dormant here, I am now carefully cutting the dead and dry leaves, leaving the petioles.
I try not to touch any visible buds, and it's been working well. So when they wake up they just sprout new leaves.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
"Bonsai do Campo" is the biggest bonsai nursery in Brazil, run by Carlos Tramujas and located in the state of Paraná, the next southern state coming from São Paulo.
Those are pictures from this week, and the maples are healthy, happy and some of them old enough to make a point about their pretense decline for lack of snowy winters.

20201004_095227.jpg

20201004_095200.jpg

20201004_095246.jpg

clem

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice tree with natural appearance ! 👍
Be carefull with the scars if you unwire too late. Maybe a guy wire would be less risky because as soon as the wire touch the bark, a brown linear scar will appear and it will only disappear when the bark becomes mature (brown color)

czaczaja

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wonder if it works the other way around. I have a couple of redwood/cypress seedlings in zone 6. We will see if they even germinate 🥺

Maros

Chumono
Reaction score
Looks really nice. It seems it doesn't miss dormancy and enjoys 40C summers.

Top Bottom