He look! A actual picture of a Bonsai on Bnut!

Hans van Meer

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
as most of you know, I am having a lot of trouble with my lower back and the last 2 day's I could do not much more than sit or lay down! So that gave me some time to look over some of the debates that were going on here and on other forums. The urge to replay was sooo strong again, because people come on, what a waist of energy, over stuff that most off the time has nothing to do with Bonsai what so ever! But as I promised my self a few weeks ago, not to do so any more, I would, instead, like to share some pictures that I was able to shoot this afternoon of the tree I was suppose to start working on 2 days ago.
They are close ups of the magnificent deadwood on my Pinus uncinata. I can look at it over and over again and get totally lost in the beautiful patterns and the many shades of gray of this wooden history book of this very old tree! This is just the thing I like to see in a yamadori, the wonderful beauty of nature! That only should be en'hans'ed by the artist(;)), to bring out the best of both into Bonsai.
I hope you like them? And lets see more trees on here!!!:D:D
Regards,
Hans van Meer.

Experience is only a measurement of used time,
not a measurement for quality!

Attachments

• November 2008 167 hans van meer web..jpg
    November 2008 167 hans van meer web..jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 36
  • November 2008 164 hans van meer web..jpg
    November 2008 164 hans van meer web..jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 37
  • November 2008 166 hans van meer web log.jpg
    November 2008 166 hans van meer web log.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
Sit ups Hans will help you out....work on your core first and the bonsai second lol. How about a tree from the Berry Islands, Bahamas to start off.
How come mildew doesn't grow on your bark Hans?

Attachments

• bonsai 002.jpg
    bonsai 002.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 21
  • bonsai 003.jpg
    bonsai 003.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 21
  • w18668770.jpg
    w18668770.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Bahamas_col.jpg
    Bahamas_col.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

pjkatich

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hans,

Sorry to hear about your back problems. Hope your recovery time is short.

The deadwood photos are great. The detailed patterns etched by time in the dead parts of the trunk are outstanding. Indeed, mother nature is the most talented artist of all.

Would you mind sharing a photo of the entire tree.

Best wishes,
Paul

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
Now, natures great in her age and beauty, but sometimes we have to fool mother nature and help her out a little before she makes a mistake.

Attachments

• bonsai 011.jpg
    bonsai 011.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 32
  • bonsai 013.jpg
    bonsai 013.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 21

Mark

Mame
Reaction score
All the chainsaws,arbortechy gadgets and torch's in the world can never duplicate that!

Mark

Hans van Meer

Yamadori
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the whole tree. I bought this tree in Switzerland and took it back to my garden, were it showed no sign of growth during that first part of the growing season! I did not liked or trusted the soil mixture they used to plant this yamadori in from the start. It was very heavy almost (gray) gravel like soil, very compressed and it stayed wet for days after watering. So I decided to take away as much of that terrible soil as posible, with out harming or disturbing the roots. Well I started to take it away by hand, and went on and on and on, with out finding any roots! I was devastated, they had just cut off all the roots with a saw when the collected it! And then sold it! There was only one socked and soft thick tap root. With 2 inches of clay, as big as my thumb, dangling from it, hanging on there from just a few tinny roots. So I replanted it in a very lose ground mixture and gave it a lot of love and care. Al I good do now, was hope that the tree would some how make some new roots. But it was unlikely considering the age of the tree and the poor condition it was already in by that time!
Well now, a decade later, it is as healthy as can be and this pot it is in, is filled with roots! AMAZING the live force in this old fighter. I styled it several times until now and hope that I can start working again real soon. It is getting more and more towards the image I had in mind, when I bought it!
The second picture shows a close up of the right root that is already half cut. It will be cut completely when the tree is re-potted in the future, for now that root, that is tight down to the rime of this plastic pot, holds the tree firmly into its place!
Third Picture is shoot when the Pine just arrived in my garden after the long drive from Switzerland. This old Pine has come a very long way and hold a special place in my hearth!!:D
Regards,
Hans van Meer.

Attachments

• November 2008 154 hans van meer web..jpg
    November 2008 154 hans van meer web..jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 50
  • November 2008 171 hans van meer..jpg
    November 2008 171 hans van meer..jpg
    99 KB · Views: 24
  • Pius 11-01_0001 hans van meer web..jpg
    Pius 11-01_0001 hans van meer web..jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

king kong

Banned
Reaction score
Well.....

That is interesting Hans but my tree was collected on a remote island off a rock precipice where it struggled to live for countless years. It was carefully removed after cutting several far reaching roots, carefully packed and strapped on the side of a sailboat hull making the long trip home. After several years of very little response it finally took hold to its new environment and began to thrive. The tree is a mahogany armed with a coating of bark chips only seen on very old trees. Soon I will style the top in a very natural manner so it will reflect the look of the other trees on the Berry Islands. I think my tree could be older than yours Hans, just a guess of course.

Attachments

• bonsai 001.jpg
    bonsai 001.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 22

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
For my son Hans

" The Whisper of the Wee Tree"
Come closer my friend and hear me speak
My old and gnarled bark is just the outside of me
Many tales can be told of how old I really am
But the life of me runs strong and deep
The battle from seed to what you see
tells the world the story of me.

Hans this I dedicate to your tree.
This is from my heart what I saw in your tree.
It is yours now forever and ever.
Mom
copyright is freely given to Hans Van Meer November 15th 2008 by Irene I Britton

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Hans, Beautiful tree, glad to see you are finally adding some good treees to your collection! haha Serious though, what wonderful deadwood, that is stuff that man can not duplicate, ever. I don't care who you are, that is not able to be repeated.

Again, killer tree, I love it!

Have you ever tried one of those things you hang upside down in? A friend had chronic back issues and that really helped him. He would hang in it for 10 minutes a day or soemthing like that?

Thanks for posting your tree, I was supposed to post pictures but just got a new computer so I have to build a network to transfer files.....

Hope all is well my beer drinking, pool shooting friend!

Jason

Hans van Meer

Yamadori
Reaction score
That is interesting Hans but my tree was collected on a remote island off a rock precipice where it struggled to live for countless years. It was carefully removed after cutting several far reaching roots, carefully packed and strapped on the side of a sailboat hull making the long trip home. After several years of very little response it finally took hold to its new environment and began to thrive. The tree is a mahogany armed with a coating of bark chips only seen on very old trees. Soon I will style the top in a very natural manner so it will reflect the look of the other trees on the Berry Islands. I think my tree could be older than yours Hans, just a guess of course.

I know King, they are amazing aren't they?!:eek:
And off course, yours could be older, witch is not really that important, the important thing is that the are alive!;)
On the left jin I cut off, I counted more than 600 rings! And that was only a side branch! There must be older once out there, but it might as well be one of the oldest trees living in Holland!;)
Regards,
Hans van Meer.

Hans van Meer

Yamadori
Reaction score
" The Whisper of the Wee Tree"
Come closer my friend and hear me speak
My old and gnarled bark is just the outside of me
Many tales can be told of how old I really am
But the life of me runs strong and deep
The battle from seed to what you see
tells the world the story of me.

Hans this I dedicate to your tree.
This is from my heart what I saw in your tree.
It is yours now forever and ever.
Mom
copyright is freely given to Hans Van Meer November 15th 2008 by Irene I Britton

Thanks so very much Mom, that's wonderful! It is on the weblog among the pictures!
Your son'
Hans.

http://knowledgeofbonsai.org/hans_van_meer/?p=1239

Hans van Meer

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hans, Beautiful tree, glad to see you are finally adding some good treees to your collection! haha Serious though, what wonderful deadwood, that is stuff that man can not duplicate, ever. I don't care who you are, that is not able to be repeated.

Again, killer tree, I love it!

Have you ever tried one of those things you hang upside down in? A friend had chronic back issues and that really helped him. He would hang in it for 10 minutes a day or something like that?

Thanks for posting your tree, I was supposed to post pictures but just got a new computer so I have to build a network to transfer files.....

Hope all is well my beer drinking, pool shooting friend!

Jason

Hi Jason,
LE LE LIIIIKK LLLLICCKYYY LLLLL.....How are you????
No problem with drinking the beer, only my wife needs to get me one at this moment!:rolleyes:
I am glad you like my Pine, it is one of my favorites, I am soooo glad it is doing fine!
Well I am off to bed, it is getting blurry here now! :D:D
Your friend,
Hans.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
as most of you know, I am having a lot of trouble with my lower back and the last 2 day's I could do not much more than sit or lay down! So that gave me some time to look over some of the debates that were going on here and on other forums. The urge to replay was sooo strong again, because people come on, what a waist of energy, over stuff that most off the time has nothing to do with Bonsai what so ever! But as I promised my self a few weeks ago, not to do so any more, I would, instead, like to share some pictures that I was able to shoot this afternoon of the tree I was suppose to start working on 2 days ago.
They are close ups of the magnificent deadwood on my Pinus uncinata. I can look at it over and over again and get totally lost in the beautiful patterns and the many shades of gray of this wooden history book of this very old tree! This is just the thing I like to see in a yamadori, the wonderful beauty of nature! That only should be en'hans'ed by the artist(;)), to bring out the best of both into Bonsai.
I hope you like them? And lets see more trees on here!!!:D:D
Regards,
Hans van Meer.

Experience is only a measurement of used time,
not a measurement for quality!

Ok Hans, take the trapeze out of the bedroom now before you really hurt yourself. Beautiful trees !

Harry

Last edited:

Gardener

Seedling
Reaction score
There's only one thing I can say about this tree.......wow!

Top Bottom