Heading to the Left Coast

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I'm visiting Santa Clarita (just north of L.A.) in a few weeks. We have a pretty loose schedule, so there's plenty of time for visits to gardens, nurseries or other places of interest. I'm not really looking to buy any trees (though you never know I guess), mostly just want to site-see. We'll probably also head South to San Diego for at least a day trip.

So, what do you guys recommend?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Probably want to visit Wally World, though you probably won't see Chevy Chase.

Then Fuji Nursery in Sylmar about 10 miles from there...

Maybe Kimura nursery near the Budweiser plant about 13 miles from there.

San Gabriel nursery is about 15 miles away and worth the drive. You will be blown away.

Further away but worth the drive are House of Bonsai about 25 miles south as well as Chikugi En about 20 miles south.

You can google all of these places and get driving directions and maps on line. From Santa Clarita you can catch the 405 or stay on I-5 south and catch most any nursery. San Gabriel will need to catch the 210 east for a few miles to get there, but where you are is a pretty good hub.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OH....and when you get to San Diego, you have to make time to have lunch at Dicks Last Resort.

There is a reason why its called that. This place is in a district of really upscale 4 star resturants. When you can't get a reservation or be seated...this is the last resort.

But you will be roasted by all the wait staff. They purposly don't give you silverware and when you ask for it they will go off on you..tell you maybe you shouldn't get the dessert because you are already too fat or ask you if you combed your hair before you came in. You can tell the seasoned staff, they can really get rude.

I love the place, and the food is great. No thin skin here folks. This place has to be owned by Don Rickles.

http://www.dickslastresort.com/domains/sandiego/

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Perfect. Thanks Al. I was hoping you'd reply. Now I just have to see how many of those I can squeeze into our itinerary.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
The SD Zoo or Wild Animal Park (can't recall which) has a bonsai exhibit maintained by the local club.

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Mat,
I live in Santa Clarita. All of Al's suggestions are right on. If you are around on July 22nd, my local club "Sansui Kai" is having their annual show at the Japanese Gardens in Van Nuys (I posted the info in the Events and Outings) forum. The show is free and I think it's only 3 bucks to get into the Japanese Gardens. Fuji Bonsai is only about 15 minutes from Santa Clarita and the owner Roy is very cool. Kimura Bonsai is about 25 minutes from Santa Clarita but not open every day.
Steve

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
OH....and when you get to San Diego, you have to make time to have lunch at Dicks Last Resort.

There is a reason why its called that. This place is in a district of really upscale 4 star resturants. When you can't get a reservation or be seated...this is the last resort.

But you will be roasted by all the wait staff. They purposly don't give you silverware and when you ask for it they will go off on you..tell you maybe you shouldn't get the dessert because you are already too fat or ask you if you combed your hair before you came in. You can tell the seasoned staff, they can really get rude.

I love the place, and the food is great. No thin skin here folks. This place has to be owned by Don Rickles.

http://www.dickslastresort.com/domains/sandiego/

Been to one in Chicago, hilarious, and good food. We walked in and the greeting was, "in or out. Make up your mind, you're blocking the friggin' door.". Don't ask for bread unless you're ready to catch a 90 MPH fastball.

And, enjoy the bonsai trip, Mat!

goosetown

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Two places that haven't been mentioned yet (though I agree with everything that's been said so far):

1. Yamaguchi Bonsai Nursery in West LA. Very easy to find (right off the 405), a wealth of trees and supplies. Small but really cool if you just want to poke around for a bit. There's another nursery on the same street that doesn't sell bonsai but has tools and supplies and the like. I believe both of them will ship, too, if you find something you like.

2. Huntington Library, Museum and Botanical Gardens in San Marino. A little bit of a drive, but such a cool place. They have an entire Japanese Garden and what I'm told has been a greatly expanded bonsai collection (haven't seen this firsthand, but have heard the lauding).

Enjoy your trip! Weather's been beautiful lately compared to the rest of the country.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Hey Mat,
I live in Santa Clarita. All of Al's suggestions are right on. If you are around on July 22nd, my local club "Sansui Kai" is having their annual show at the Japanese Gardens in Van Nuys (I posted the info in the Events and Outings) forum. The show is free and I think it's only 3 bucks to get into the Japanese Gardens. Fuji Bonsai is only about 15 minutes from Santa Clarita and the owner Roy is very cool. Kimura Bonsai is about 25 minutes from Santa Clarita but not open every day.
Steve

Oh man. Your show sounds like it would have made for an excellent afternoon. Unfortunately we'll be there the week after that. Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely check out Fuji, and I'll give Kimura a call before heading over.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
Not sure if we'll make it to Dick's Last Resort, but I'll run it by my wife. Would you consider it to be kid-friendly? We'll have a couple of them with us. We may just be eating a friend's place that night anyway.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
O
Not sure if we'll make it to Dick's Last Resort, but I'll run it by my wife. Would you consider it to be kid-friendly? We'll have a couple of them with us. We may just be eating a friend's place that night anyway.

Probably not the first choice for the kiddos; I went before we had kids. They don't even like the big mouse at chuckie cheeses (thank goodness), so I suspect dicks wouldn't make the short list.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I just realized that I forgot to report back after my trip. Guess I've been busy catching up with pruning, and "real" work too I suppose.

Huntington Gardens was awesome. I would recommend everyone nearby check that place out. The Japanese Garden area was huge, several large areas, mature beautiful weeping red pines, and of course multiple bonsai display areas. After just the first one I was satisfied, then I turned the corner only to find a whole other display, then again. Amazing specimen trees - junipers, pines, oaks, olives, etc. I only managed a few pictures. (3 year old added for scale reference)

SouthwestSanGabrielValley-20120729-00858.jpg

Pasadena-20120729-00860.jpg

Pasadena-20120729-00859.jpg

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
I also made it to Fuji Nursery. Very nice. Quite different from big nurseries here in Florida (of course). tons of big, old yamadori California Junipers. lots of other good stuff too. Roy was very nice, even though I bugged him with questions while he pruned a huge Hinoki. Definitely the sort of place I'd stop in regularly if I lived anywhere nearby.

We went to Stone Brewery in San Diego (much more my speed than Dick's). We ended up there after dark, so I didn't get to tour the garden, but that beer selection is hard to beat. I went with a Ruination, followed by a Rochefort 10, followed by I forget...

Top Bottom